Re: Internet speed tests odd results.

> I noted my TV was buffering a lot and then when on my computer, pages

>> were loading very slow, so I did a speed test. >> >> Ookla was 1.41 MBPS I emailed a friend with the same IP, he said no >> problems seen, but Ookla was also slow. But for him Fast.com and WOW, >> both reported 100MBPS >> >> For me Ookla was 1.41 MBPS, Fast .com was 46MBPS, and WOW was 100.1MBPS. >> >> Why the difference? > > What about location? Most of these tests show you where the server is located. Did you check that? > > BTW, IP address doesn't mean a lot. I'm Mid-Atlantic US and I bet my 18 ns ping time to 8.8.8.8 is about the same as anyone with normal service. What's yours? Go to a command line and type > > ping -t 8.8.8.8 > > Cntl-C to stop it. > > Check the times but also the variability and the number of responses that time out.

This is a really pointless test. 8.8.8.8 is not one server in one location, so it's not useful to determine how "fast" any network connection is.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

S.

ocated. Did you check that?

ns ping time to 8.8.8.8 is about the same as anyone with normal service. W hat's yours? Go to a command line and type

at time out.

You fail to comprehend. No one is trying to test the speed of the whole In ternet. The point is that poor results with this IP address shows a proble m in the path up to the Internet connection, either in the premises equipme nt or in your provider's equipment. If you get good results with that IP a ddress you either have an actual speed throttling issue or a software issue .

With the numbers the OP posted there is no way this is a problem on the oth er side of the provider in the bulk of the Internet.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What does tracert show for the different hops? Ingvald44

Eric Furness