Re: How do auto-set clocks grab the time?

If it were mine, I would take the dang thing apart and figure out how it

> worked. Then, I would go buy another one because I can NEVER get anything I > take apart back together again.

I had a toy electronic robot that I got one Xmas as a kid that I took apart and couldn't get back together... my mother ended up sending it to my grandfather (who'd been an EE prior to retirement) who managed to do so and sent it back.

I was rather proud of myself a year or so later when I took it apart again and, that time, did successfully get it all back together in one piece. :-)

So perhaps your grandfather could help you out here, Bob? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That's an excellent idea. I'll go dig him up.

Speaking of grandfathers -- mine gave me an old mechanical adding machine, when I was a kid. Once I got into my inept little hands, it never knew what hit it.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Sounds good; mine is somewhat "under the weather" as well these. Grandparents are unfortunately one of those things that I really don't think become properly appreciated by most people until they're long gone...

There were a number of music boxes that died at my hands. Oh, and one of those electric ice cream makers that I took apart to get to the motor and, after being unable to get it back together, took out and hid in a big field behind our house so that my parents wouldn't find it. It wasn't until years later that I told them actually, yes, I *did* have a clue as to where the "lost" ice cream maker might be... :-) (I suspect that field -- in McFarland, Wisconsin -- has long since been turned into housing!)

An electric BBQ rotisserie suffered a similar fate...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner