Re: Diode reverse-bias resistivity?

Hi guys:

> >I'm an ME, so I have a basic knowledge of semiconductors, but not as >in-depth as you EE's. > >When a diode is connected in reverse (the direction where current >doesn't flow), does it behave like an insulator or like a >semiconductor? In other words, does it have an extremely high >resistivity, like a dielectric, or does it just have a high >resistivity and pass some very small amount of current, like a >semiconductor? > >I know about avalanche breakdown; that's not what I'm talking about. >I'm talking about at voltages below breakdown. > >Thanks for any replies. > >Don

Typically a nearly constant current, with a much less than resistive slope, as JP states. Schottkies are leakier and more "resistive" than silicon PN junctions. The reverse leakage current typically doubles with every 10 degree C temp increase.

It can vary wildly between "identical" devices, especially power diodes.

Some glass diodes are photosensitive, too!

John

When I was a kid that discovery made me jump for joy. No more plunking down more than a buck for an LDR. Just take a diode or transistor from the TV scrap heap, scrape the black paint off the glass body, and bingo!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to