Re: Counterfeit 2N3055?

>"Hugh Gibbons" >> >> Any gray market part is a risk, especially if it's out of production. > > >** Wrong. > >The risk is HIGHEST if the part IS in production and is popular with >repair techs and /or hobbyists. > >See this page for a few examples: > >

According to that site someone purchased some counterfit 2N3773's from Digikey.

"About three weeks ago we received a batch of transistors from Digikey... To be more specific: 2N3773's... (about... 100 of them at $1.25 ea.)"

Full story here:

I thought distubutors like Digikey purchased straight from the manufacturer? What the hell is Digikey doing buying off EBay? Digikey's mark-up is high, enough greedy bastards. I wonder what their response was?

I was worried about this happenning too but I checked some manufacturers list of trusted distrubutors and the places I usually use were on it.

I guess even though I only buy from Newark,Digikey or Mouser I'm going to have to start looking more closely at my parts.This will be difficult since 90% plus are tiny SM.

Reply to
Hammy

Heres a interview question from EDN to Larson (Digi-Key Corp President)

"EDN: What does Digi-Key, specifically, do to thwart counterfeiting?

Larson: All we do is buy direct from the manufacturer. We don?t buy any product from brokers or EMS guys that overbought. Everything we sell comes directly from the manufacturer. That?s probably the strongest defense you can have."

From here

Hammy

As a corporate policy Digi-Key is an authorized distributor. We purchase 100% of all products directly from the manufacturer which is sanctioned for Digi-Key=92s redistribution of the product. Currently, we represent two manufacturers which are still currently producing this device, both which would be authorized.

We are a little disappointed in the misrepresentation of our business policies and if there was ever a question of the origination of the device, we would be happy to do a full investigation. Digi-Key deems counterfeit parts as a major concern within our industry and is taking every step possible to prevent this ongoing issue.

If you have any questions regarding the authenticity of any part, please do not hesitate to contact us.

-Chris Beeson Vice President, Supplier Management

Reply to
webmaster