Re: Casio EX-Z1050 Exilim (what is MJPEG & why is USB not usb?)

> Why couldn't they use a standard mini-usb port on the camera?

> > There isn't a single standard for mini USB connectors.

Sure there is.

But why didn't Casio use a standard mini-USB?

Reply to
Sharon Ciccio

Bullshit. There is too wide of a range in both voltage and current requirements. Your 'universal AC adapter' would be large and expensive, compared to the current method of selecting the proper power supply.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are econmoic forces that tend to make this happen when it makes sense anyway... the most popular DC adapters today seem to be 5V @ 500mA-2.5A and

12V @ an amp or so. Obviously it's not practical to have all portable electronics use the exact same power supply, but I think today just having a small handful around covers almost everything whereas 20+ years ago that wasn't the case.
Reply to
Joel Kolstad

To say nothing of the different battery (capacity, chemistry) charging requirements.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

"The Micro-USB connectors are unique in that they feature a stainless steel shell, which yields more than 10,000 insertion cycles for longer life and higher durability, and passive latching mechanism for higher extraction forces."

I guess this now means we all have to carry both a mini-USB cable and a micro-USB cable when we travel in addition to the typically unused USB cable that we carried for the past 5 years.

I guess, over time, the mini-USB cable will be phased out but for the next five years, we need to bring two cables with us.

Still, it's a lot better than carrying two chargers!

The world will be a better place when all portable electronics use the same power supply!

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon Ciccio