Re: Blue Brain: Illuminating the Mind

As somebody who (used to be) in the field of self-organizing systems, that is mostly true - we just have no good idea what the general principles are that are needed for an intelligent system.

There does seem to be some effect of quantity with respect to intelligence, however, for instance if you compare a bonobo and a human being.

In particular, I believe that, to a large part, intelligence requires the use of experimentation to develop. Thus, you need sensors _and_ actuators

- or a body to go with the mind.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Vorbrüggen

CF: With respect to AI, there seem to be two main camps. One wants to emulate the behavior of intelligent beings, the other wants to emulate the biophysics. It's not clear that either approach will result in any huge breakthroughs in understanding consciousness.

GS: This does not strike me as accurate, or useful. Any AI must simulate animal behavior, at least in the same sense the flight of planes achieves some of the properties of flight in animals. A plane does not, as we have heard ad naseum, flap its wings, but it does go long distances without touching the ground, and it is not merely gliding. [Of course, interestingly, when we hear how AI might not resemble "natural intelligence" and are fed the plane/bird argument, we are not told that it is the case that the flight of the glider and the "flight" of the first animals DO closely resemble each other]. Is a connectionistic approach the former or the latter? I'm guessing that you would say that it is the latter (i.e., emulate biophysics), but this shows the conceptual error I am pointing out. If the NN does not emulate some functions of animals, then in what sense is it "AI." Incidentally - or maybe not so incidentally - a big part of the problem is the term "intelligence." One should consider that the term does not identify anything useful about behavior OR the brain.

CF: There was some promise in the careful study of the effects of certain substances on perception and consciousness, but this research was largely suppressed for political reasons around

1970 and nearly completely so later on for reasons which were and remain largely specious.

GS: I'm not sure what you are talking about here, but it can't be the field that continues to investigate the effects of drugs on behavior (i.e., behavioral pharmacology).

Reply to
Glen M. Sizemore

I don't think you can easily distinguish primates's brains from different species just looking under the microscope...I believe that you'd have difficulty even with rat and human tissue. That's the whole point of mammalian neocortex: it's the quitessential information processing engine, as far as we can tell, and it's only the way it's wired to peripherals, as well as its interactions with its peers (other parts of neocortex) that seem to determine its function.

Just so.

Well, you could do this in a simulated world, I suppose. Then you might run into the problem one of the guys from Thinking Machines had. It apears he set up a simulation for an artificial life model as a test for the CM-5 (IIRC). He said he debugged his physical world simulation by looking at the creatures that evolved. For instance, some of his first versions didn't quite get the principles of thermodynamics correct, so that some of the "animals" learnt to turn in a circle to gain energy for a jump 8-).

Jan

Reply to
Jan Vorbrüggen

I am not sure how to apply the concept "distant interconnections" to the concept of "thousands of neurons." Are you calling a chain of local interconnections a distant interconnection? That's not the usage that computer scientists are taling about when they talk about distant interconnections.

If you apply the definition of "distant interconnections" used in computers to the brain, ther aren't any. Most neurons have an axon tree that is less than 1 or 2 nM across[1]. Although some partly myelinated axons can extend several millimeters in the neocortex and hippocampus, most neurons only have somewhat local connections.