Now that's small!

the first single molecule transistor! Lyle

Lyle

Yes, but the real question is whether it is voltage or current controlled.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett
[...]

Jes' trying to pull your chain, Kevin.

I have no problem with your explanation. Voltage causes charge movement. Simple and intuitively obvious.

The only problem I see is, except for a few pathological cases, everything electronic becomes voltage-controlled.

Diodes, transistors, FETs, MOSFETS, SCRs, Triacs, tubes, CRTs, relays, VOMs, DVMs, and so on. Regardless of how they function, they all fit in the same category.

So the term loses any meaning.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Ahmmm....:-)

That's trivial. Unless the device is magnetically, operated, its voltage control. As I keep noting, F=q(E + vxB). If one wants to get charge (collector) to *move* (change its motion) one must apply a force.

Indeed:

"Dr Hofer explains: "Our experiments demonstrate that we can control the current through a single molecule by charging a single atom on a silicon surface, while all surrounding atoms remain neutral" "

One could split hairs and argue that it is charge since, it is charge that is producing the electric field. Ultimately, all electro-magnetic effects are caused by charge.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward