Re: Black Level on TVs, was: Why is video inverted for transmission?

Jerry Av> >

> > ... > > > >> Lead gives a yellow tint. I have seen lead-glass bricks used for > >> radiation shielding that you can see through. They might be more > >> than 50% lead by weight and only a light yellow color.

I've seen those leaded glass blocks used for viewing portals into radiation treatment rooms. They had a fairly strong yellow tint, as in everything was in black and yellow.

> > > Yellow: interesting. The best yellow glazes I've seen contain uranium.

That was the original use for uranium, yellow coloring. And thorium was used in dental powder.

> > > ... > > > > Jerry > > Grin. > Now there is a great idea, uranium glass for radiation shielding.... > BTW, is there a warning on those lead glass bricks about not eating > them, or letting children play with them? More paranoia.

Guess what. Uranium IS used for radiation shielding. I used to work for a company that makes linear accelerators. In some models a plate of depleted uranium is used as there isn't much room. Uranium is something like 2.5 times as dense as lead.

It can only be used in the low energy machines. The high energy machines produce neutrons and those you don't want around uranium.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA               Macintosh / Internet Consulting

"I\'m a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"
Reply to
Clark Martin