Re: Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems book by Tim Wescott

>> Tim Wescott wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>>>Hey Tim and others that have this book. >>>> >>>>Looks like I'll be asked to do more an more controls projects and my >>>>last >>>>"class" was over 15 years ago. I'm looking for a good book on embedded >>>>control theory that is more on the practical side. (I.E. lots of real >>>>world >>>>examples) >>>> >>>>Would this book fit the bill for this use? It is nice to have contact >>>>with >>>>the books author as well. >>>> >>>>thanks. >>> >>> >>> Well, I certainly think so! >>> >>> If you are an experienced embedded systems programmer and have done no >>> or >>> little control systems, and if you need to pick it up for your job then >>> you are squarely in the center of my target readership. >>> >>> The book is lighter on examples than I would like -- right now it's kind >>> of like meatloaf without much oatmeal. However, I recently taught a >>> course using it as a textbook. I'm going to be taking all of the >>> homework >>> problems that I assigned for that course and posting them on the book's >>> site, along with worked answers. I expect this will enhance the book >>> considerably (and should it ever go to a second edition, you can expect >>> that those examples will either be worked into the text or put at the >>> end >>> of each chapter as questions to be worked through). >>> >> >> When are those problem sets going to appear on your site? I want to see >> them. Never mind...I don't want to see them. I suppose the first thing >> to get straight is your idea of the typical embedded systems programmer. >> That is what I *really* want to know. What is his/her background and >> level of intellect? > > If you know a lot of embedded systems programmers you know that there is > no one 'typical' educational background. I think a motivated reader who > has done well in a calculus course at some time in their lives, and who > has done some embedded programming, would be able to get through the book. > Having some familiarity with one or more of differential equations, > practical DSP, practical closed-loop control (i.e. having coded up a PID > and flailed around with parameters until it worked) would be helpful. Me > getting those dang examples posted would be helpful, too. > > Barring even more unscheduled work falling on my shoulders, I expect to > start posting these in early August, perhaps earlier if I finish my edits > to my presentation for the Embedded Systems Conference in Boston before > the deadline. > > -- > Tim Wescott > Control systems and communications consulting >

Thanks, I'll pick up a copy.

From the sounds of it I am in your target group and need to get a PID for a motor control application going.

It has two loops. an internal Id and Iq current control loop and an outer loop is a RPM control loop. I want the motor to run at a commanded RPM regardless of the load. The load will vary wildly with high frequency torque ripples (similar to a drill press motor loads at the end of the cut) and would like the speed loop to be fast enough the keep the RPM in a reasonable band (say +/-20%) during the transient events as long as the peeks torque loads don't exceed the capabilities of the motor.

I think I'll pick up a copy and try it out. Your worked problems would be appreciated and August is right on time for this.

I'll be posting more specific questions as I get more acquainted with the process.

thanks

Reply to
Mook Johnson

can't just add a flyheel tothe system?