Re: 220V 3 phase => 60 HP, how many amps?

>> In other words, he's got >> 220V 3 phase -> transformer -> 440V 3 phase -> MG -> 60 HP motor. > > If you want to do this per code, look for a nameplate value on the > equipment. The M-G set will introduce some inefficiency into the system, > making the direct conversion from mechanical HP to KVA somewhat less > then accurate. > > The quick answer is: You can't do this off a 100A panel. NEC Table > 430.250 gives a full load current for a 60 HP 230V motor of 154A. As > your situation is quite a bit more complex than this, I wouldn't even > try to venture a guess as to what parts to buy to power this gizmo up. > Heck, I don't even know where you are and what code is applicable.

Southern California, so the code is probably pretty strict - the California politicians LOVE to pass rules and regulations.

I finally told the PHB that he needs a real electrician for this one.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It'll be the NEC down there. But this should be a moot point since California doesn't have enough surplus power left to run a 60 HP motor anyway. At least that's what I've been told. ;-)

If this is work in a commercial building, his insurance will insist upon it even if the local inspector lets it slide.

If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a thumb.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hmm, that's a new one, I'll have to pass that onto the electricians at work tomorrow :) I know there is at least one that won't think it's funny, there is always a electrician with no sense of humor.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Industrial electricians seem to charge by the # of phases * volts.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

[snip]

You've got to be careful that you don't get on an electrician's bad side. After all, it was an electrician that brought down the Communists in Eastern Europe.

Marching to a different kettle of fish.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hmmm - does he have all of his fingers and toes? ;-)

CHeers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes how ever, I think some of them are a little numb these days due to using the old method of testing voltages. If any of you ever looked in an old electrical code book? you'll know what I mean :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

LOL, I'll have to remember that. That I didn't know :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

No sense of humor? That's SHOCKING, to say the least! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I haven't seen the book, but I remember some old electrical guy telling me that they'd check it with the backhand side of their fingers, so if your hand clenches up, it clenches up on air.

I worked at an extruder once, and one of the old line guys was telling me how he can judge the temperature of hot metal by how far up his finger it hurts.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ha. :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

I'll have to see if i can get a photo snap shot of that article. I know some one that has a copy of an old electrical code book with the article in it. it states on the line of "It is an accepted method to use the thumb and index finger to test for the existence of voltage " That may not be the exact wording but it's close.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
The blinking cursor writes; and having writ, blinks on.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.