RANT: Differential pairs

Why the EFF are there no standards on where the Ps and the Ns are on different chips? I am FED UP of chip X sourcing P and N and chip Y expecting N and P.

Also, Altera, could you stop putting diff pairs on different angles ? A vertical diff pair next to a few horizontal ones is a nightmare to route cleanly.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Because if there were to be no progress before there were standards made, we'd still be stuck on the correct pin-out for a pentode, and transistors would be the sole property if Western Digital, who wouldn't be able to sell them because they wouldn't match _any_ standard.

I assume you mean you're fed up with having to reverse traces on a board, or changing the sense of the data in your FPGA designs. That's understandable.

Hmm. It sounds to me like you're living in the real world. It's a pain in the behind, isn't it?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Fantastic. I'll just start drawing op-amps with + and - inverted, and sometimes put the ground on top of my drawings. It's funny that we can all agree on those conventions, eh?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Well I do draw opamps with + and - "inverted"... you mean there is a standard way? Which way do you draw them?

Looks like I'm going to have to go back and redraw all my circuits.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I have 8 different symbols for OpAmps with + and - "normal" and "inverted" to make for more understandable schematics.

As long as you keep the pin-number sequence matching the SUBCKT definition there is no problem.

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

I should have mentioned that multiple symbols are needed to accommodate OpAmps with more than 5 pins... offset adjust, etc.