Questioning the math Re: reluctance

The URL below adds iron to an air core solenoid to reduce the reluctance and increase force. The author calculates the reluctance of an air core as R1. He then calculates the reluctance of two iron end plate washers as R2 and R4. Then the iron tube around the air core as R3. He then adds R1+R2+R3+R4 for total reluctance.

It seems to me that R1 (the air core) is eliminated because it is replaced (shunted) by the iron. Can someone explain what I am missing here. I understand at some point there will be an air gap, but it will much smaller, I'll deal with that later.

Also in the section, "R2,R4: Finding Reluctance of a Flat Washer" He goes through some calculus and gets, Reluctance = 1/(2*pi*t*u)[ln(r2)-ln(r1)] He then reduces this to, Reluctance = (ln(r2/r1)) / (2*pi*t*u)

I don't see this as correct, Can I get a little help? Thanks, Mike .

Reply to
amdx

You need another pair of brackets to make the above correct:

Reluctance = (1/(2*pi*t*u))*[ln(r2)-ln(r1)]

= [ln(r2)-ln(r1)]/(2*pi*t*u)

If you recall your math, ln(A) - ln(B) = ln(A/B) right?

Just as e^a * e^b = e^(a+b)

(related to how slide rules work...)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks Spehro, but I'm not on board yet. I agree that,

(1/(2*pi*t*u))*[ln(r2)-ln(r1)] = [ln(r2)-ln(r1)]/(2*pi*t*u)

But, the author then reduces [ln(r2)-ln(r1)]/(2*pi*t*u) to [ln(r2/r1)] / (2*pi*t*u)

When I plug numbers into these two I get different answers. What am I missing? My numbers, ln=2.718, r2=.6, r1=.5, t=.063, u=3500

Oh, and what about,

As above. Thank you, Mike

Reply to
amdx

ln is not a number, it's a function.

In this case, ln(r2/r1) = ln(0.6/0.5) = 0.182

Reply to
Greg Neill

Thanks Greg, Ok, I did it on the calculator and all is well. Almost, I don't know what function I'm doing, I'm printing some info to look over so I can understand it. Thanks again, Mike I still need help as below,

Reply to
amdx

ln(x) is the logarithm of x to the base 2.718281828... It's not a constant, rather it's a (transcendental) function. Any scientific calculator (even the Windows calculator) will allow you to plug the numbers in and calculate it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

[Snip]

Look, Shit For Brains, we don't need idiots like you coming in here with you trans mediocre stuff and explaining number stuff.

Next thing you know someone will think it's a really bad idea to take on someone elses long term debt, at reduced repayments, because some stoopid f*ck up like you broke the news to the government about sums and stuff and they are going to stop bailing the f****rs out!!!!!!

That's OK, you go and piss on everyone elses Christmas.

Bastard

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Reply to
amdx

LOL. For that outburst, your credit cards will have their interest compounded *instantaneously*.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany a écrit :

He he, reminds me a teacher renowned for his ignorance that, after some lengthy demonstration, got something like Ln(x+x^2)/Ln(x-x^2) with x approaching 0.

He 'just simplified' by Ln, leaving 1 as a result (which happens to be right in this case).

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Looking to Genome's emails, he have bad days everyday... Some people does not have the first 7 years old, they just jumped directly to (i)maturity. Pretty bad. Vasile

Reply to
vasile

Genome suffers(?) from a condition known in the medical literature as coprographia. It does not negatively affect his formidable circuit design abilities. You should be more understanding of people with such issues.