Q. re: book "Practical Electronics for Inventors"

Is anyone familiar with this book? I'm looking for something that's geared towards practical applications, and thsi looks interesting, but I've no way of knowing whetehr it's a good/instructive text:

Practical Electronics for Inventors By Paul Scherz

I'm still working on learning enough to build my high-brightness solar light, and also, just out of curiosity, I'm looking into "supercapacitors" as a power source for it, so any book/reference recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks In Advance! -

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I want a copy of "Electronics for Dogs". If a penguin can use it to figure out how to convert a pair of Techno-Trousers to radio control, you gotta be able to do anything with it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Tim Wescott wrote in news:gLednVT8t64SkxPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

Thanks :p

Reply to
Kris Krieger

If this book tells you that supercaps are a practical energy storage medium, then burn it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I find it to be a good book for applied electronics. I originally checked a copy out from the library (1st edition) and after perusing it I bought 2 copies (one for my son). They are 2nd edition which contains a massive chapter on theory (way too much detail for me), but the other parts are useful.

Reply to
Michael Brock

Burn it... and invent an engine to... power the supercaps?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

How about something more diverse like

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a2g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

The power for my little project will come from solar cells.

I'd still like a couple of decent books that emphasize explaining practical applications, rather than pure theory. Got any recommendations?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

(1) It gives examples, with explanations, according to the blurb I saw in the Google Book summary. I didn't see any judgement made.

(2) There are already solar-recharged LED light products on the market, from what I can tell via online searches. I'm considering buying one to take it apart and see what they did.

But I'd still like a couple of decent books that emphasize explaining practical applications, rather than pure theory. Got any recommendations?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Michael Brock wrote in news:g6lclv$359$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Thank You :) !

I don't mind that theory is included, so that is OK, but it's very useful to know that the practical part is good :)

I learn best when startign with the practical, and usign the explanations to trace back tot he theoretical - it' snot what you get in school, but I've used it to successfully self-lear, and when possible learn via tutors, for subjects ranging from computer graphics, to the arts, to languages, to technical topics ;)

So, again, thanks for the input-! I'll order it later today.

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

What's wrong with NiMH batteries (ok, NiCd on the cheap) or 6V SLA?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

NiMH are my first choice, because batteries do need to be replaced, and NiMH are IMO the best balance, for potential customers, of availability, power, and price.

I just really like the idea of capacitors used as batteries - less waste, long life, and practicalyl Zero maintenance. ALso, it seems that one can make the lighting system smaller in that there won't be space taken up (or weight added) du to batteries. It just appeals to me ;) I've bee doing online research for a few days, and have found some info, a few small-scale products such as the item i'm interested in trying to produce, and a very few circuits relating to lower-power systems, but I want to understand the concepts better ;)

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Boris Mohar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That looks very interesting in terms of offering a lot of info on a lot fo different sience topics. Not what i need for the project, but I'm putting it on my 'wish list' ;)

THanks!

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

You'll need one helluva lot more space for capacitors to store the same amount of energy you can store in batteries.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

ehsjr wrote in news:tt8kk.443$iM5.46@trnddc07:

Yeah, there is that...

At teh same time, I think it will become do-able (is that weven a word...?), becasue other (and *much* smarter!) people than I are working away at it.

So, I'm going to stick with the tried'n'true battery sytem, using some high-mAh ones. But I'll be keeping that capacitor idea in mind - maybe see how those Solar Bricks etc. fare.

When my books get here in a couple days, I'll sit down with them, and my collection of printouts, and put my nose to the proverbial grindstone.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:01:39 -0500, Kris Krieger wrote: ... do-able (is that weven a

No.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise