Purchasing a new high end multimeter

Certainly. Haven't you ever heard of a proxy?

Don't like what the CEO is being paid? Buy another company.

Who votes in the board? The owners, dummy.

Nope. Perhaps; "regardless of the objections of *SOME* owners".

Obviously someone is voting in these *bastards*. Grow up already!

--
  Keith
Reply to

one:

Hi Dave - how would you compare the Agilent to the Fluke? I didn't realize Agilent made handhelds - so I hadn't looked at that one. But the features look very good and very similar to the Fluke, so I'm not sure which would be better. Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

one:

Hi Mike Unfortunately I cannot comment as I have not played with the new Agilent model myself, but eariler hand held HP meters were very good quality. Agilent have just gotten back into the hand held market with this model, and on paper it looks very nice. Agilent don't make crap gear quality wise.

You can't go wrong with say a Fluke 87 V, and with the money left over you could buy a (or several) lower cost PC connected meter for data logging if you ever need it.

The 189 has a 72 hour battery life, and unfortunatley it appears like the Agilent one is similar, although it runs from a 9V battery instead of 4 AA's in the 189. The other model has a rechargeable battery. I guess when you get to this performance level you have to live with crap battery life. A Fluke 87 V on the other hand has a 400+ hour life, and is much better for general day to day usage, and almost as accurate at 0.05% DC.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yep, this is a common problem among most of the Fluke hand held range, I find it happens a lot when measuring mains transformer primaries. They have never adequately adddress the problem, but as you say, manual ranging works just fine.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yep, the 87 V is a great choice. If you need top accuracy, best to buy a bench unit. Then Agilent would be your better bet.

Steve

--
Steven D. Swift, novatech@eskimo.com, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC.      P.O. Box 55997

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 06:35:28 -0600, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Can't beat old $1500 HP bench meters on Ebay for $150 typically.

If you like worse than 2% accuracy.

Whoopie!

That's what 1.2 volt rechargeables are for.

Reply to
MassiveProng

On 22 Feb 2007 08:52:57 -0800, "Mike" Gave us:

Agilent, formerly HP, has been making very high quality lab instrumentation for as long, if not longer than Fluke, and I am quite sure the device is top notch.

Reply to
MassiveProng

I can't think of anything more annoying than rechargables in a multimeter - just begging for Mr Murphy to come along and push you over the edge of frustration.

400hrs+ or bust IMHO.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Some of HP's low end stuff is rebadge Chinese items, like

bungalow_steve