Pumping Liquid Nitrogen

How about pushing the liquid nitrogen instead of pumping it?

Imagine an insulated chamber, half-filled with liquid nitrogen, having a lid with two holes. One hole is for the nitrogen output tube, which goes all the way from the lid down to within say 1/8 inch from the bottom of the chamber. The other hole is for the input tube, which is just a short tube. This is where you blow.

Now you just need a way to blow measured amounts of gas into the short tube, pushing the liquid nitrogen up the output tube.

Compressed air tank with a needle valve... aquarium pump... CO2 gun cylinders... ?

Have fun

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

With that idea, I think the LN2 could pump itself.. How about using gas pressure regulator. Feed the 'exhaust' N2 gas back to pressurize the tank. Excess pressure is vented.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

So where does the pressure come from?

If I could pull my emitter follower up entirely by its boostraps, I wouldn't need a battery anymore. :-)

Maybe with a seperate expansion chamber and keen connections, but offhand, it doesn't work: internal pressure is internal pressure.

Tim

Tim Williams

A nice demo of pressure from nitrogen. Bottle blowing up from liquid nitrogen

I was thinking this..

Release +-----------------------+ Valve ||-----------------|| +--------------------------->------------------+ ~CPU~

'A' is a pressure sensor which operates an electrically controlled valve. 'B' is a one way valve.

After awhile, the LN2 eventually disappears and the system blows up. :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

The loquid N2 boiling off.

You put one end of a pipe down into the liquid. The other end goes up above the tank you want to get the N2 into. There is a lid on the storage tank that is sealed against the outside of the pipe.

The internal pressure will push the liquid up into the pipe. (If there isn't enough pressure, the weight of the column of N2 will ballance the pressure and nothing will flow.)

The inside of the pipe is a hole through the wall of the storage tank.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

I believe that the back pressure would stop the LN2 generator from putting any LN2 into the dewar flask. The above scheme cannot result in liquid going out of the output tube at a higher pressure than the liquid coming in to the input tube, and thuse is not actually a pump.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

The above system has equal pressure at all points and thus will not do any pumping. You would have to do this instead:

Release Valve ||| | Release | | Valve | | ||

Reply to
Guy Macon

k.. gonna go back to the electronics..cause my gas/liquid physics sucks.. :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Do you have the specs on what back-pressure the LN2 generator can tolerate?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I have a request in to the manufacturer. They appear to be out until 02 January.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

How about two dewars? One gets filled while the other drains onto the heat sink. They just have to be higher than the computer - I wonder how big this LN2 genny is? It would have to be on a top shelf, but from there gravity should do all the work that's needed.

And if the CPU is insulated from air properly, once it's chilled, the boil-off rate should decrease some.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You've just drawn the diagram I was too lazy to draw. ;-) Just insulate the bejabbers out of the CPU, and use that container as your dewar, with room for extra as needed. :-)

Would using the exhaust N2 enhance the operation of the genny? It's sure to be quite cold, you know. :-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

LN2 drip ======== \\\\ || ______ || ______ | | || | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | cold N2 | | | | | | | | | | | |~~~~~~~~~| | | | | | | | | | | | LN2 | | | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Rich Grise

Got pix? Or any other kind of specs?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Or even the manufacturer?

mrdarrett

This wouldn't happen to be similar, would it?

mrdarrett

*There's* that Rich Grise thinking out of the box that we all know and love! As with most great ideas, my first thought was that I should have thought of that -- but I didn't. :(

The one being filled can be vented to the room. No back pressure. The one cooling the CPU can be vented through a standard pneumatic pressure regulator, and thus the 2nd dewar will self-pressurize to achieve whatever flow rate I choose. Even the switching is easy; there are many small hydraulic valves with teflon interiors that can handle liquid Nitrogen.

Brilliant! Somebody give that man a $200,000 a year job inventing things... :)

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

...and the N2 generator has to strip out the O2, CO2 and H2O, so feeding it dry, cold N2 gas instead of air would seem to be something it would like. I wonder if a watt-meter on the power cord will register a difference?

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

*Another* simple solution that will work great?

Better make sure that brain of yours is properly cooled.. :)

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

$9,500 new for the elan2 Office Liquid Nitrogen Generator without Autotransfer Half to a quarter that used if you find a doctor that is getting rid of one.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to