pump head doubler?

I have a small aquarium pump and I want to increase the head.

It is mains (50 Hz, UK) operated, and I thought if I doubled the frequency it would, ignoring losses, double the head.

It uses 6 watts maximum, but the power needed here would be considerably less than 1 watt, as the flow will be small - also it is submerged, so I do not anticipate any overheating problems.

To obtain a doubled frequency I thought of using a diode full-wave bridge with a capacitor in series with the pump. Would this work?

If so, how would I calculate the value for the capacitor?

Class Y?

(suggestions about alternative pumps welcome - if they are quiet, 230V mains operated submersible, cost less than £5 delivered, and have a 2m plus head)

Thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

[and full-wave rectifier with AC coupling is described as frequency doubler]

If it's a shaded-pole motor, that would possibly work, but could also stall the motor. Your 240V 50 Hz has peak-peak voltage of 678 volts; the full-wave rectifier has 100 Hz, but at peak-peak voltage of 339V. Losses are not necessarily negligible. Easier, would be to use two pumps in series (pump 1 to a holding tank containing pump 2, if they're immersibles). If the pump is dismountable from the motor, belt-drive will allow speed change. So-called polycord belting is easy to work with.

Reply to
whit3rd

or you might get cavitation detonate the motor or destroy the propeller, consumer devices are engineered to within a hair's breadth of failure to save tiny amounts per unit.

The voltage will be wrong,

can you plumb two similar pumps in series so that the output from the first goes into second. that shopuld give double the head.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

I'm assuming a water pump. (and not an air pump.) What type of motor? permanent magnet? It seems unlikely to work, but maybe fun to try. (you may wreck the motor. )

2m head at what flow rate? The price you want looks to be very low. (I made some different 'weird' pumps in my mis-spent youth. There was a re verse water wheel, and an Archimedes screw pump.... neither with that big o f a head.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold