Pulse-powered current limiter

Putting two high impedances in series is asking for trouble.

perhaps shunt the LED current instead of cutting the power to the current regulator, or arrange the current limiter to tune its limit according to a PWM input

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The trouble can be caused only by energy stored in stray inductance or an EMP from a nearby lightning. TVSes on both ends will handle both cases nicely.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Fine is an understatement. I didn't expect this sort of performance from a couple of dirt cheap components. It works perfectly well even at 10V and there is no (reasonable) upper limit - just the regular cooling constraints apply. Selected for implementation. :)

Thank you all for your help.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

You are very welcome, I enjoyed it and it is good to have on-topic posts to read!

The 431 packs a lot of gain into a dirt cheap part, folk even use them as op-amps with a well defined input offset voltage!

piglet

Reply to
piglet