PS for PWM-controlled motor

I don't know if this should be in seb rather than in sed, but here goes. I have this brushed motor from an old machinery with an integral reduction gear. The label has faded completely so that it's impossible to read the nameplate ratings. It was powered from a transformer that outputs 26.5V at no load, and judging from the orginal control board, it was apparently run by phase control at mains frequency with a pair of SCRs. The current limiting jumper was set at 3A. The transformer is rated for 90VA, secondary dc resistance is about 0.2 ohm and primary (230V) 12 ohms.

I'd like to try using the motor and the transformer with high-frequency PWM control, but if I rectify and filter the transformer output, the supply voltage will be substantially higher than the average in the original scheme (though of course no higher than the peak). Is this likely to cause any problems? Please ignore any other issues for the time being.

Reply to
pimpom

Lots on 4QD site about this: e.g.

Mains use - (Machine Tools)

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!
Reply to
Richard Torrens (News)

If you implement proper current, as opposed to voltage, control, it shouldn't matter. You could then use armature voltage for speed feedback. Just limit maximum speed to that giving, say 24V on the armature.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Thanks. I thought no one else was going to reply and stopped watching the thread until now.

Reply to
pimpom