Probably a stupid question...

You might have a situation where you have lots of external interference like power line arcing noise. A preamp won't help that situation either.

--
Mark
Reply to

The simplest description of how these things amplify goes like this:

inside the package they have black magic when you wiggle one of the lead , another one wiggles with more vigor. biasing, without proper biasing and voltage and current limits, things get hot and the magic black smoke escapes.

after the smoke is released, the part never amplifies again!

I have seen this myself with my own eyes!

The more scientific descriptions, use transconductance, gm, to describe the Io/Vin relation ship.... a lot of background on operational bisiaing is required for any operation at all.

Marc

Reply to
LVMarc

Hey Bob,

Replies interspersed...

The noise figure of the active antenna seems to be extremely low. The components have a noise figure of something like 2 db each, and (since I added the q-multiplier) it does pull in signals that are otherwise unavailable to the receiver alone (even with the 110' longwire attached.)

Hmm. Okay. Might explain why it doesn't work any better than it does.

Again, might explain...

Hmmm. Well, thanks for the input. I may have been on a wild goose chase. What would you recommend for increasing the sensitivity of my receiver? I am planning on a directional antenna, to help eliminate extraneous noise etc. What about that?

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Have you changed your medication regimen lately?

Reply to
Richard Henry