Probably a stupid question...

Anybody have any idea what to do when you have two forms of the same equation, using the same variables and numbers for those variables so that one checks the other, only they don't give the same answers? Case in point, the calculation for inductance of a single-layer air-core inductor using the diameter/length of that coil and number of turns, and it's counterpart to calculate the number of turns in that coil given the inductance and diameter/length. Very simple and straightforward, only I get different answeres from the two. What could I be doing wrong? I have measured and remeasured the length of the coil, and done the same with the diameter, even going to the point of wrapping ten loops of wire around it before removing same and measuring/dividing first by ten and then by pi to make sure I was being accurate. Still, I get inconsistant answeres from the two equations, these being L=d^2*n^2/(18d + 40 l) and (sqrtL*18d+40l)/d. The first tells me 8.35 microhenries with a diameter of 1.75 and 9.5 turns, but the second then tells me 7.9 turns with the same diameter and a length calculated by the number of turns that will fit in an inch ( .04 inches for #24 plastic coated copper wire). I even ran all this through a different calculator. And both of these equations come from the ARRL handbook (p 6.22 of the 2004 edition), so I have to trust them... Am I just stupid? What is going on here? I feel like an idiot, and am probably going to find out I am right, but I need to know... What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help. Even insults are welcome, so long as you care to share why you are insulting me. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I looked at my ARRL 2003 handbook. Just from first glance of what you have written, the way you may be calculating the second formula may be incorrect. You wrote: (sqrtL*18d+40l)/d

where it should be (sqrtL*(18d+40l))/d

You may be multiplying the sqrtL by 18d BEFORE you add 18d and 40 l . It will give you different results.

-- Brian

point,

the

even

equations,

2004

Brian O

My God. That was it. Now I really do feel like an idiot, but I have been working on this for days and couldn't think of anything else. My deepest thanks to you for your insight and courtesy.

Indeed, much appreciated. Now I know which numbers to trust.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That was a good catch on Brian's part.

I'd like to add that many "equations" of this ilk are actually approximations.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yes, I understand that at least. I am still having some trouble making the counterpart to the equation Brian mentioned work however. L=d^2*n^2/(18d +

40 l) doesn't give me the same answer, or anything nearby, as the one I fixed with parentheses after Brian's advice. I am workintg with a TI 89 Titanium, which reshuffles parentheses according to whether or not it thinks they are needed where you put them. This calculator is messing with my head. I am about to go back to my "basic" TI 30-XA, which I at least know how to use. To bed, and to scratch my head. More tomorrow maybe.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked.

Kind Regards

David

----------------------------------------------------------- ORBIT COMMUNICATIONS Pty Ltd - Wireless Solutions that Work (Telemetry, Control, Monitoring, Security, HVAC ...) A.C.N. 107 441 869

Website :

PO Box 4474 Lakehaven NSW 2263, AUSTRALIA Ph>> That was a good catch on Brian's part.

Reply to
David

I can't guess what you're doing wrong. what formulas are you using ? what values are you putting into them etc...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

For more exact coil calculations use

HKJ

Dumb question update:

After putting things aside for a couple days, and sleeping on it two or three times, I now realize that besides not using my parentheses correctly, I was inputing the value of L incorrectly. Inputing it in Henries rather than microhenries. (shaking head.) I had just been staring at it so long that I couldnt see it anymore. With all your help (and especially Brian's) and a couple days away from it, it is a simple thing again.

Thnaks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave