Power mains question: wire gauge

Don't bother wasting time on the troll. It's the same eternal-september troll who asks a bunch of simple-minded questions here under a variety of names. Last time he was pretending to be an Indian electronics student struggling with 'models'.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Perhaps the OP made a mistake with his cable run length as well as his horsepower and meant *100,000ft* - in which case, maybe #6 isn't so crazy. :-D

Reply to
orion.osiris

who asks a bunch of simple-minded questions here under a variety of names. Last time he was pretending to be an Indian electronics student struggling with 'models'.

Okay, thanks, Fred. He is now ignored.

Reply to
John S

Try reading from the top of the post...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Those are toys, but they might be acceptable to amateur woodworkers. The ONLY thing I use a compressor that small for is to blow dust out of a computer.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The suggestion was to put in a sub panel, if there is a likelyhood of more tools that require 240.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How much wire have you pulled?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(or

Yawn, that's a dimbulb sized stawman.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Really? Easy on three phase, with a VFD. They use an unloader of single phase to let the motor come up to speed before adding the load.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You already said that.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

...and it's almost always cheaper and easier to run tools separately from the main with more common, and *far* less expensive, #14 or #12.

Reply to
krw

Utter nonsense. It's good enough to run any nailer or any hobby equipment, with the possible exception of a paint sprayer. Actually, mine isn't any bigger, though it has a universal motor (and so rated in magic Sears HP). BTW, the OP *did* say 1/2HP. If you want to grow a full auto body shop from that...

Reply to
krw

Enough to know I detest anything approaching 36 wire. An a appeal to authority? Come on.

Reply to
krw

(or

it,

No, simply giving you back some of your "logic".

Reply to
krw

Really? Even when they are across the production floor from the main breaker box? I can see you've never worked around a machine shop.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yawn. He change that to 3 HP but as usual, you just want a pissing match. Yes, you can use a nailer with a tiny compressor if you don't mind it running constantly, and having to work slow because of the recovery time. My dad is a retired cabinet maker, and won't use anything under a 2 HP compressor for his nailers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"approaching 36 wire"?

I've run into a lot of places where they had a pullsting in with wires. It gets wrapped around the wires as it's pulled in, then srticks to the inside of the conduit if they use pulling lube. Attempting to pull in more wire doesn't work too well if there are any bends in the conduit. The last pullstring I ran into was with some fiber optic cables. I had to pull everything out of the conduit because they were tangled. Then I had to use the fiber to pull in a piece of Cat5 cable which was used to pull the fiber back, with several Cat5 cables.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(or

Then

it,

You

No. You never think things through. Then you go on the attack, like Dimbulb, Allison or Sloman. I said I would run AWG 10 for a compressor, OR AWG 6 to a sub panel, if it made sense. Sense is something you frequently lack. When I wired my 30' * 40' garage, it only had lights but I used a 100A 20 circuit breaker box. The big tools will eventually be installed near that box, but if any end up in the opposite corner, I'll run a 1.5" conduit, some AWG 6 and install a sub panel in that corner. There is a concept in wiring buildings called 'Futures' where a few extra breakers are installed in a new panel, and conduit is stubbed from the breaker box up into the ceiling or attic while the walls are open. That allows two things. If a breaker fails, a replacement is available. If a new circuit is needed, the conduit is run to an accessible spot, and doesn't require messy & time consuming work in an occupied building.

More than once I was called to a school when something critical was down and found a failed breaker. I used the spare, and they ordered a replacement. Simple, and cheap insurance.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Certainly.

Certainly. Almost always.

Reply to
krw

He actually changed it to "3.1HP", which is pure bullocks. Goody for your dad. It's a total waste to use a 2HP compressor just to drive some tiny nails. Of course any "cabinet maker" would commit suicide before using nails in cabinetry, but...

Reply to
krw