Power Bank Encoder Switch(es)

Well, hi, sci.electronics.design.

I haven't been by in a while.

Work on the MOEPED continues. What's a MOEPED?

It needs an encoder. Here in s.e.d., an "encoder" search returns:

but I need a funny, different encoder. I've thought of building a diode matrix.

Available encoders:

?Ref=55099&Site=US&Cat=34341596 (This may be a bad link. It's probably my local search with Digi-Key)

7 positions, switching a bank OFF in position 1 through a separate relay and line, and switching 12 power bank components (2700 F, 2.5 V ultracapacitors) series or parallel as needed to provide

1x12, 2x6, 3x4, 4x3, 6x2, and 12x1 configurations, for dynamic braking and throttle control.

I'll be using relay:

most likely.

Encoder output is something like:

0000000000000 and power off condition is this as well. 1000001000000 1000100010000 1001001001000 1010101010100 1111111111111

I have to draw a schematic to get this right....I have already made some relay PCBs. They aren't soldered or mounted.

It also would help if it were operated by a bicycle cable!

There are 7-position bike shifters available that could provide a basis for switch increment spacing. A machined drum of the right radius would control a rotary switch nicely, since it is unlikely for a linear switch to have the right spacing. I can do the mechanicals and a diode matrix, so I may get by with an existing 12 position switch, a drum, a return spring for the cable, and a matrix, but I'd like to see if there are such encoders on market before doing a one-off.

Some combination of linear throw potentiometer, linear LED display driver IC, and diode bridge or burnable array of some kind might do a nicely generalizable solution that other EV hackers could use.

Where do I find such a "hen's tooth?"

I have a NI USB-6008 and Compaq TC1100 for later use as an automatic controller but I need a robust, near-zero-power manual control first!

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
The Dougster

Why not a small CMOS microprocessor to control everything? You can even measure voltages and currents and stuff. If you don't want to go through the bare-metal learning curve, use one of those Basic Stamp gadgets.

John

?Ref=55099&Site=US&Cat=34341596

maybe you're looking for a gray code incremental encoder?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Well, the manual control is to see if the power is there; if it is worth doing.

The USB-6008 and TC1100 are to see how it can be controlled.

Reduction to a Pocket PC or microprocessor would come later, but, yes, I understand the advantages.

Doug

Reply to
The Dougster

I understand gray code. It's a binary code that changes only one bit a time.

So an 8-position grey code encoder switch, to a gray code to binary chip, to a diode matrix might be a possiblity.

Doug

Reply to
The Dougster