Potting horror...

It's not complex; just arrays of fixed-length records.

Indexes need to be built and maintained, and can get snarled. We do brute-force linear searches. CPUs ar so fast these days, it's essentially instantaneous.

Again, CPUs are so fast, and gigabytes of RAM so cheap, that brute force is perfectly viable. 10,000 part records, at 640 bytes each, fits not only in ram, it fits in cache!

John

Solid State Hard drive. No memory arrays required. It IS a memory array.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Your application is that time critical?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

It's just a parts/inventory database thing. Doing a search (like, "opamp and rrio") takes way under a second, which is nice. If it took

10 seconds, it wouldn't matter much. But the speed is free nowadays; you have to really work at it (as Microsoft does) to burn up billions of cpu cycles per second.

John

Jees, are you really this stupid, DimBulb?

Reply to
krw

Solid State Hard Drive.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Instead of beating on your chest like a big jock pussy with no dick, why don't you try declaring what it is that you are refuting, asswipe?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Why don't you read the absolute nonsense you wrote and tell us, DimBulb?

Reply to
krw

Why? The problem with flash memory is write endurance: it wears out. For a camera or a memory stick, it's OK. For a general purpose computer, pounding the disk constantly, it's not such a good idea.

Besides, this application is small enough to run entirely in ram. It only needs a drive at startup, for a few seconds.

John

For real fun, have variable length records..

Reply to
Robert Baer

es

-

exes,

ou

Using arrays of pointers to the actual records can have a lot of advantages when you need to do something like sort them.

If the database is not changing a lot, the records can also be mostly pointers to the strings that describe the part and give the buying info etc. Those strings can then be stored one right after another in the "string space". You can then use the fast string search methods to find the strings that match.

Reply to
MooseFET

Programming shouldn't be fun. That's the big problem nowadays, programmers having fun.

John

That one goes into the file of snappy sayings. I heartily agree.

Cheers, Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Yeah, but I bet your application there doesn't including a fully animated paperclip offering to "help," now, does it?

"I see you're designing an LED flasher! What would you like to use? -- An embedded PC (best for government contracts) -- A microcontroller (good option for growing companies with many new hires) -- A 555 timer (oldie but godoie) -- A few discrete components (highly risky) ???"

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I'm expect the programmers feel the same way about hardware designers...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

-- Windows CE -- Windows XP Embedded

John

"John Larkin" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Needs HP Openview to manage it too ;-)

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

All I know is that I fell that way about loan officers.

Put them in jail for a few months. They'll get more serious.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

What do you expect from bit bangers? Logic?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Michael A. Terrell