Potential room temperature super-conductors?

This does strike me as on-topic, if a bit of a way away yet.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Is behind PNAS paywall, unfortunately.

Reply to
aioe usenet

"Potential" means that it's probably more press-release science.

gets 310,000 hits on Google.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Interesting that they found new modes of superconductivity, but of course a metal hydride that only works in a diamond anvil cell is a fair way off fr om practical applications. Maybe we should start asking for "room temperatu re, low pressure, stable, inexpensive superconductors that don't smell too bad". ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

It would certainly improve the Q of 0603 inductors.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think that means it's 10 years before the 10 years before it has practical application. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Isn't that about when CNF (or any NF, for that matter) will be practical?

Reply to
krw

Make sure that the smell of pressreleaseium is counted...

Reply to
Robert Baer

There might be a way to slightly increase the Q of present 0603 inductors with some mechanical re-design. Basically, put a shield around it; that makes it more resonant around some to-be-determined frequency. Trade-offs.

Reply to
Robert Baer

So what?

It's definitely press-release science. It's reporting the results of computer simulations, which are promising enough that there will be a few experimentalists out there making lanthenum and yittrium hydrides (LaH10 and YH10).

It wasn't behind a paytwall for me - I've got a copy of the full 395kB html file, and could e-mail it to anybody who asked for it, if the web-police don't get to me first.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They talk about Bardeen?Cooper?Schrieffer (BCS) superconduc tivity, which I had thought was plain vanilla (as opposed to what goes on i n persovskite "high-temperature superconductors". Or are you using "mode" i n another sense?

a fair way off from practical applications. Maybe we should start asking fo r "room temperature, low pressure, stable, inexpensive superconductors that don't smell too bad". ;)

Maybe we are going to see some big and funny shaped diamond anvil cells ... or some weird way of exploiting carbon nanotubes, with a thread of LaH10 d own the core of the tube.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The abstract is available

But for everyone else the PNAS paywall is asking $10.

Whilst it might be a room temperature super-conductor at such a high pressure in a diamond anvil it's a very long way from NTP 210GPa = 2.1 MegaBar - subject to mental arithmetic errors

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

CNF as in "Cold Nuclear Fusion"? Interestingly enough, that also seems to use heavily loaded (lots of H per metal quantity) metal hydrides at almost metal-lattice-breaking pressures.

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

Yes, CNF == Cold Nuclear Fusion. Seems as you've found the source of the mysterious energy. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Superconductivity doesn't generate energy - it's all about the mysterious ( for krw) absence of energy-absorbing electrical resistance.

Cold nuclear fusion did involve squeezing lots of deuterium into a palladiu m lattice, but the the yitrium and lanthenum hydrides being talked about ar e actually chemical compounds, with metal-hydrogen bonds (albeit pretty wea k bonds in YH10 and LaH10) so it is chemically rather different.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to