Picaxe line restrictions?

I have been using Picaxe microprocessors in my robotic designs for about a year now, and I love it. However, one of the constant criticisms I find listed on the net about Picaxes is the limited lines of code they can store (600 lines for X series devices). Considering this line count does not include white spaces and blank lines, to me that seems like a lot of code space. I was wanting to know how many robotics hobbyists out there use more than 600 lines of code in their robot designs? Like I said, 600 lines seems like a lot of code lines for one person to write.

Reply to
artswan

Is that in assembly or basic? Picaxe is programmed in a Basic similar to Parallax's processors.

Reply to
artswan

Dunno about this "picaxe" thing, but 600 lines of code is nothing, a mere sigh, a deep breath, a passing thought, a whim, a snap of the fingers.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The one I saw the data sheet of said Basic, I think. It is definitely not assembly! 600 lines of assembly code could, say, flash an LED. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Regardless, 600 normal lines of ASM, Basic or C is pretty much a toy program.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I did a fire alarm system remote mux box, up to 64 supervised contact closure or analog i/o points, 4-channel software single-slope adc, software uart, software fsk modem (well, transmit direction) that used a 6802 uP and one 2708 (1 kbyte) eprom. But it wasn't pretty.

Most of my embedded 68K programs run 4-12k lines of assembly code. A typical PowerBasic test prog will run similar numbers.

John

Back in the day, when i was first training on navy computers (transistorized, no IC's) 512 words of 15 bit memory, 3 I/O addresses, the only language was binary, typical students wrote programs with I/O, mathematical evaluation, and were even useful some times. The famous useful program would take up to 100 raw test scores, and compute the mean, the standard deviation, and 5 other statistics (used for grading). It did not have multiply or divide instructions. So a chunk of the program went to those subroutines. This was some decades ago.

--
JosephKK
Reply to