PIC House Alarm

My house was hit by lightning and my DSC alarm system is broken, I want to replace this with PIC alarm system, has anyone done such a design ? I need about 8 Zones with 2 entry points a horn, 2 keypads and a panic button , also a output for a radio controlled transmitter.

this will form part of a home automation project at the end so any ideas on a control bus will help as well ? Is X10 a good idea ?

Thanks Len

Reply to
Len

Why? What is the perceived benefit?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Maybe to make the world's smallest home alarm system. :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Of course people have, but I haven't.......yet. ;-) It shouldn't be all that hard to do, the largest amount of work will be in the user interface software, the actual alarm system is simple. If I were doing it for my home, I would make the user interface in something like VB and then use the VB app to shove a config table of some sort into the PIC via a serial interface. That would greatly simplify the PIC code.

This is all easy enough for a microcontroller, for someone that has programming experience. It might be kinda tough as a starter project for a PIC newbie though.

X-10 is never a "good idea". ;-) Unfortunately it's probably the most common power-line communication system. It is plagued by many strange and interesting problems, mostly fixable, some allot easier than others. What do you plan to automate?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

That's irrelevant.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Of course people have, but I haven't.......yet. It shouldn't be all that hard to do, the largest amount of work will be in the user interface software, the actual alarm system is simple. If I were doing it for my home, I would make the user interface in something like VB and then use the VB app to shove a config table of some sort into the PIC via a serial interface. That would greatly simplify the PIC code.

This is all easy enough for a microcontroller, for someone that has programming experience. It might be kinda tough as a starter project for a PIC newbie though.

X-10 is never a "good idea". Unfortunately it's probably the most common power-line communication system. It is plagued by many strange and interesting problems, mostly fixable, some allot easier than others. What do you plan to automate?

begin 666 wink.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`+,``````+^_O___```````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\\```0T,$@):ITX5,'Y MQ4 G>E,XC@`EF.MJIJSEQ>PI;C9:YZYGOQK?C12

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Why?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You can buy a new DSC panel for about $50 at ADI. If you have an account (you need to be a dealer)

(Just so you know.)

And even if you do roll your own (for education, experience, nothing to do on a Friday night, etc..), what's going to stop lightning from damaging your PIC-based "system"?

Anyway:

Alarm loops often have the option for terminating resistors, which allow you use N/O and/or N/C contacts in the loop - while still monitoring for an open wire condition. (ie., cut or damaged wire).

If you decide to hook smoke detectors to your system, just remember you may not be living in the place "forever" and you'd be (morally) responsible if the thing broke later and anyone got hurt becuase it didn't work. (You can pretty much read that as: DSC carries product liability insurance which your home-grown PIC won't have.)

Why not just fix the one you have? (Start with the communications lines becuase without even looking at it I can almost bet that's where the problem is!). Then, take a look at the lightning issues. Good luck.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

The benefit is obvious......the OP could have a functioning alarm system again. Now, if I might be so bold as to ask you why you asked the OP that question?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

If he's doing it for fun that's one thing.

If he's trying to save money, fugedaboutit. He could have a functioning alarm system in a day by buying one - they aren't expensive

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

A alarm system is about R600.00 and yes I can have it up and running in a day, however

Then my hoby won't benefit, I can't add on to the project or alarm with my needs in future and I can't attach it to my home-automation system later on at my criteria. Will have to buy an expensive home larm or expensive add-on modules so I rather spend some money now and save later on.

Len

Reply to
Len

Unfortunately I am a PIC newbie :-( I can flash a LED etc. and read a input N/C or N/O so the PIR's I can do, However as you say the keypads ... etc. is the problem

Home automation : I don't want to use X10 actually as that is where the problem started with a lightning strike traveling through my power :-( So I would rather want to use my own wiring (I2C ??) or RF Transmitters.

What do I want to automate :

  1. Night/Daytie switch for fromt gate
  2. Sensor lights (With logic e.g. movement more that 2 sensors in x second then light the lights - to avoide plants triggering the lights)
  3. Front gate lock and intercom (On a 12V Solenoid) - with stats on when gate opened & closed
  4. Irrigation System ( 7 Zones)
  5. Bring the Alarm into the project

I am busy drafting a requirement and percieved logic design for it.

PS. I can find lots of PIC info on the web but not a lot on irrigation or alarms ....

Regards, Len

Reply to
Len

Unfortunately all of that is fine and the zones etc. the problem is in the Alarm out circuit ( Horn wailing the whole time)

I do agree with a lot of your arguements however my thoughs was to

  1. Us my hoby to do it
  2. If I sell the house most armed reaction companies include a basic alarm with there contracts - I'll install my PIC @ my next house :-) new project...

Lightning is still the concern yes, I am busy investigating means and ways to beter protect my elec equip , better earth etc.

Regards Len

Reply to
Len

There was a circuit for a basic PIC based alarm system, published in 'epe', about a year ago.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Many thanks I will have a look

Reply to
Len

How does your insurance company feel about you using a homemade alarm system? What will the police or fire department charge for each repeat false alarm? When I checked into manufacturing alarms in the '70s I needed at the very least, $10 million dollars of Liability insurance, even if only one alarm was built.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And of what relevance is any of this? The OP didn't ask for legal advice, he asked for technical advice. Unless he's looking for some kind of discount, I doubt his insurance company gives a damn about it. What makes you think that his own system would be any more prone to false alarms than a "professional" system anyway? Aren't most false alarms caused by the sensors?

Y que? That's because you wanted to sell them, right?....not just build one for your own amusement.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Using it to monitor your home can bring on liability issues. That is not "for your own amusment".

Some police department s bill for false alarms. thne reports are made availible to your insurance company. DWTFYW.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whatever.........The OP didn't even say it was going to be monitored by an official agency, he just said he wanted to build a replacement alarm. You're sounding like he's already putting life and limb at risk.

Real mature response, but I will continue to do exactly that. :-/

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

He's in Africa, so who knows. Some police departments won't give any priority to calls made by non approved equipment, and will charge the full fines for any false alarms. Some departments refuse to respond at all after a set number of false alarms in a set period.

He may well be putting himself at risk, if his skills aren't up to the task.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida