Photon counting for the masses

I'm an amateur theologian, and I don't recognize the caricature you present. Care to be specific?

Once again, knowing something about how God does things has nothing whatsoever to do with the question of whether it's Him doing them. Your narrative assumes the truth of your position without proof. Why is yours the only one that doesn't require evidence?

Actually, it's the atheists and leftists who are trying to do that to the religious folks at the moment--the US Government especially. I don't recall any instances of forced conversions in America, do you?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Historically there are often also early indications that there is a danger (this is the case with radiation, X-rays, and some of chemicals you mention), but this is sometimes overlooked in the zeal to refine and polish the new technology. So the real danger IMO is often just not knowing quite how harmful new things are -- that's what really takes awhile to fully flesh out.

And was it arthritis that some felt a quick trip to a uranium mine could help out?

Agreed. What's strange is that a lot of diseases do seem very much on the increase these days, and nobody's quite sure why -- asthma and certain types of cancer come to mind.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That's probably what was going on. We get dazzled by the new shiny technology, and overlook that there could be some damage from it...

Oh, yes. And "radium water" which, fortunately, was mostly just exposed to radium, but didn't actually contain it. But radioactive materials and devices were used to help with many different illnesses. And electric hernia trusses, and God knows what else.

Lots of theories. Better diagnosis, people surviving early illnesses and coming down with things like cancer and heart disease, etc. And, of course, chemicals and electromagnetic radiations of various kinds. I take comfort that if most of these things were serious dangers, we'd already know it. OTOH, there's *always* that possibility that something takes years to show up, or doesn't appear until the next generation (depoprovera comes to mind)...

--
Obviously your filters are throwing away mail from Randal.  :-)
		-- Larry Wall in

med

ey

be

of

nage

Can't we all just get along? I find the intolerance of some atheists the hardest to understand.

George (confirmed agnostic) H.

Reply to
George Herold

True, in the same secular humanist crowd (read: liberals/progressives). The Europoens are just so much more so (of both).

Reply to
krw

Itself. Auto-immune diseases are on the rise, too.

Sure, I've been afraid a couple of former managers were complete morons. Didn't help my work at all.

Reply to
krw

Could help some cancers. ;-)

I think JL is onto the cause of this, in a post above.

Reply to
krw

Everything is dangerous. TANSTAAFL, no matter how much we may demand that there is.

How about foot X-Rays?

As JL posited, the immune system gets bored.

Reply to
krw

No, it is "science" as long as it is falsifiable. Einstein didn't test any of his theories but did propose experiments that could prove them wrong. Are you saying that what Einstein did was not science?

Reply to
krw

voltages

lled out

er

) RC

st

w every

remely

em that

tried some

ay?

il

ched

in

Too bad you can't post pics. But at high light levels (counting rates) I see the RC 'recovery' to zero interupted by another pulse. So double pulses. That's totally expected for random pulses. Where the most common time between pulses is zero.

nt

Well light (formerly know as photons) is the most likely trigger.

get

Hmm, yeah I should try that too. Bais a zener just below the knee and see if I can get light to trigger it. I've had zero free time lately.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well, George, I think you and I can get along just fine because I think your personal religious convictions are your business and my personal convictions are my business. And, I have a very hard time understanding religious intolerance in any form.

Now, then. I have your LEDs here and am at a loss as to what to try next with them. So, I'd be happy to return them to you, if you feel like opening an envelope in a few days.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

aren't

phosphenes, or=20

The issue is not so much detection when the S/N is good, but what happens when it degrades below 3 dB and even further to -3 dB.

machines.=20

pattern=20

view=20

anyway to=20

be=20

all,=20

(spacial=20

well=20

=20

=20

=20

And the magnified blotches of change can swamp the later filters, which are, after all, not immune to noise either.

at=20

=20

There=20

giant=20

the=20

its=20

resolution,=20

up=20

of=20

maintain=20

Reply to
josephkk

Dunno. I do know i would have one hell of a time demonstrating the existence of photons for EM fields below a GHz. Detection there does not seem to involve any sort of discreteness. Or maybe somebody has = something to teach me.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I suppose i could look up the value but you may know it off the top of your head; what is the Planck length of a 500 nm green "photon"?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

it

up"

Monochromatic

don't

gripe

As always, that is a question/exercise left for the acolyte. Failure to do that is to fail to understand his "guru"ness.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

=20

Damn straight. I have had the luxury of seeing the milky way in its glory. Bloody impressive. The moon was only quarter, must be really = nice at new moon.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That is a *disgraceful* slur. Jan represents some lunatic fringe in his country. Antisemitism is rare now in most of Europe.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

FTL particles already have a given name "Tachyons". Their possible properties and implications are even briefly discussed in some graduate level textbooks for example Harwitt's Astrophysical Concepts p183-6.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I am not arguing that at all.

I am pointing out that with a suitable experiment you can split a photon into two other photons so that energy is conserved.

Indeed. Each photon explores all the paths open to it *and* interferes with itself. Easier to see in the electromagetic wave treatments. The strongly oscillatory nature of the integrals means that the probability wavefunction of the photon vanishes everywhere except very close to the paths of least time. Fringes result when two equal length paths are available.

In simple cases this reduces to the obvious geometrical optics results but when you have structures made with path lengths equal to within fractions of a wavelength it becomes important.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Anyone care to give a plausible account of how that works in terms of waves?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman