perfect flexible cable

It seems I'm always looking for better flexible cable to hookup sensors, etc. The standard offerings by Alpha and Belden are so unsatisfactory. But then I discovered a 10-foot length of nearly perfect cable, marked Dyden LF AWM E91337-M 2851 VW-1 23AWGx4. It has four AWG 23 wires, in a thin, super-flexible, but strong sheath. I have no idea where we got it. It seems E91337 is a standard number for Dyden's flexible cables, of all types. The Sunwa and MISUMI distributors don't look very helpful, except perhaps for heavy hookup wire, or CAT5 cables. Suggestions?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

How about telephone handset type, "tinsel wire" ?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's what I was considering using, but the wire is weak, hard to solder, etc. One must also adopt the connectors. By comparison, the Dyden wire is perfect.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

The Hewlett-Packard X-Y chart recorder used a flexible printed circuit to connect the moving writing head to the fixed electronics.

The article in the Hewlett-Packard Journal on the unit went into constraints on the construction of the flexy - it had to be symmetrical, with the copper layer right in the middle, if it was going survive being flexed repeatedly.

It's all decades-old stuff - I can't even remember the X-Y-recorder number.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've been using FFC "cable" for some time. These are 0.5mm- or 1mm-thick flat-flexible-cables available in 0.5, 1.0 or 1.25mm pitch spacing. I use a 1mm version, and Kyocera's 6200-series connector with a clever angled clamp. They're super useful, but there are times when you want an honest rugged cable, with soldered ends.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Do you have any machines with moving electronic "headpieces" nearby? (Printers/plotters/CNC etc)

They sometimes have cables loosely "encased" in flexible trunking that looks like a hollow caterpillar track.

Perhaps you could peer inside and see what is used.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (1 Nov 2019 14:40:51 -0700) it happened Winfield Hill wrote in :

I used this stuff just last week to test some cameras:

several meters, see no reflections at 75 Ohm termination. No idea where I bought it, solders just fine, probably local tronix shop. Did you measure the impedance? I feed it 12V DC and get back video in that picture. Could indeed be some telephone cable. Is a very common type cable here I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Have you tried Unitronic FD or Unitronic FD P Plus cables from LAPP?

They claim to be highly flexible, PVC or PUR sheathed and available in multiple configurations. 4.2mm diameter with four 0.14mm2 wires. Pretty good availability at least on this side of the Atlantic.

Reply to
Jussi Ilvonen

I use a lot of FFCs, and also prefer the 1-mm ones, mainly because (unlike the 0.5-mm ones) they don't short adjacent pins if you put them in a bit cockeyed.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't know where Lapp Group Olflex cables are made, but they're marketed in Europe pretty widely and seem to sell direct. Lapp Tannehill in the US.

There are some interesting cables being used for electric bikes, from off-shore.

Alpha does offer xtraguard, if you believe PVC can be flexible. ecoflex, PPE or PU, if you believe PVC is a waste hazard.

19 and 41 strand 20 or 24 awg unshielded 4cond at digikey. PPE has the thinnest OD ~0.18in /4.6mm. $4 to $7 /ft. Ouch.

What's perfect? Too flexible can be an issue under vibration.

RL

Reply to
legg

The E91337 looks like an Underwriters' Laboratories file number I think, so may cover all of the cables they had tested in one go. Those usually seem to start with E.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Stranded sensor wire for 4-20 ma industrial sensors is awesomely flexible, supple, and tough.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328