Peltier Coolers

I need to come up with a way to predict how much current will be required to cool a laser diode in a butterfly package to any given temperature using its thermoelectric cooler. Is there a way to do this with a few measured parameters such as thermal resistances, electrical resistance of the cooler, manufacturer's specs for the cooler, and a few temperature versus current measurements?

--
To reply directly remove the sj. from my email address. This is a spam
jammer.

A good start would be the performance plots, such as this one:

BTW, for this kind of question it may be best to post (or cross-post) into alt.lasers. Not too many participants there but many of them are real experts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Ask the vendor and skip a lot of math.

John

Yes.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Yes. See

Sloman A.W., Buggs P., Molloy J., and Stewart D. =93A microcontroller- based driver to stabilise the temperature of an optical stage to 1mK in the range 4C to 38C, using a Peltier heat pump and a thermistor sensor=94 Measurement Science and Technology, 7 1653-64 (1996)

or

Sloman A.W. =93Comment on =91Implementing of a precision fast thermoelectric cooler controller using a personal computer parallel port connection and ADV8830 controller=92[Rev.Sci. Instrum. 74, 3862 (2003)]=94 Review of Scientific Instruments, 75 788-9 (2004).

Both give an equation for calculating heat trasfer as a function of current and temperature difference for a conventionally specified Peltier junction on a heat sink of known thermal resistance.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijjmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Thanks. I expect this will be just what I am looking for.