PCI Express for laptop?

My computer is an IBM Thinkpad laptop (Windows XP, Pentium M) and I have a project where I need to plug a board into a PCI Express slot. I have USB, parallel and PCMCIA ports.

Is there a [reasonably-priced] adapter out there?

Thanks for any replies.

Sid

Reply to
sid

What kind of board?

I don't think they'll have the bandwidth for it.

Depends.

Reply to
linnix

What model? The newer models (T60, Z60, etc.) use the Advanced Dock which has a half-height PCI-E slot (intended for a video card).

I doubt there is an adapter. How about CardBus?

--
  Keith
Reply to

I bought a Xilinx FPGA Development Kit and it is in the form of a PCI circuit board and can apparently only be written to using the PCI edge connection. Unfortunately I have a T40 Thinkpad laptop. I misunderstood the literature, seeing that it had a DB9 serial jack and thought that I could download that way.

Sid

Reply to
sid

Let see if I understand what you want.

You want to plug your laptop into a PCI-E slot, it that right??

So an adapter that can plug into "USB, parallel and PCMCIA port" on one side to a PCI-E buss on the other side. Right ??

Just to clear things up a little.

I have never heard of such a thing.

But, I could see that a 10/100 network card can be found for each end.

Will that do what you want ?? Or is the PCI-E slot something special ??

donald

Reply to
Donald

First PCI and PCI-E are not the same.

Second, you SOL.

donald

Reply to
Donald

Not a chance. PCI Express is much higher bandwidth than any standard (eg; CardBus) port available on current laptops.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

Sound like I'll just have to get a cheap desktop with PCI Express on Ebay or something. Oh well; live and learn.

Sid

Reply to
sid

Panasonic Touch Books, has a Laptop that can accept

1 PCI and 1 PCIe.
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to