PCI audio mixer for hum-free line-in recording?

I tested Radio Shack's "Ground Isolator" 270-054 using test signals that maxed out around 2.5 v RMS. ZSource = 150 ohms, ZLoad =

10K ohms.

The measured performance was truely amazing for a pair of transformers case and cables selling for only $16.65. All IM, THD, and noise artifacts were at least 80 dB down with most in the -100 dB range or better. Frequency response showed a 2 dB peak at 20 Hz and then 10 dB down at 10 Hz. There was a 3 dB peak at about 51 KHz falling to about 10 dB down around 100 KHz. +0.5 dB at 20 KHz

I also did some experiments with varying the source and load impedances. My recollection is that the transformer is reasonably non-critical with normal audio production source and load impedances for line-level equipment. It looks like it will also work fairly well with consumer audio gear, which is of course what it was intended for.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Better.

Welcome to the 21st century for line-level inputs. ;-)

I've seen how a LynxTWO performs in such a lotcation. Same-old, same-old.

One of the biggest problems in mixed signal design is doing quality audio on a board that also has TTL clock signals on it. Of course that describes just about every PCI audio card ever made. It also describes just about every standalone DAC, ADC, and CD player. Once that problem is solved, the rest follows.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Precisely define "tap on my home telephone line"? What exactly do you mean by this. What are you doing? What does it look like? Where did you get it? Does it have a make/model number, etc.?

In the USA, for example, it is not permitted to attach to the telephone line except by isolation & protection circuit . At the very least, this is a magnetically-coupled transformer, and also includes capacitors, voltage-limiting devices (varistors, diodes, etc.) and other components depending on what kind of functionality you are looking for.

This is an important question and all the other discussion here is dependent on this.

If you are somehow making DIRECT connection between the telephone line to your computer, THIS IS AN EXCEDINGLY BAD IDEA! You MUST use some kind of device to protect your computer from what is happening on the phone line. The ring voltage, (something approaching 100V AC) for example is particularly damaging to your computer audio card.

With a proper audio coupling device, you should not have any problems connecting to the input of most any computer audio system.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

ISTR this must be a special sort of capacitor (reversible, tantulum, or something like that).

Could you or someone else please clarify this.

Reply to
Jon D

Correct, but 100nF isnt going to be tantalum, just plastic.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'd suggest reading the information at

You'll want a cap rated at no less than 250 WVDC - a 400-volt cap would not be overkill. Plastic-film caps (e.g. mylar/polyester) are probably the best type to use.

Dave Platt

case

Hz

falling

Yes truly amazing, just a shame they couldn't be bothered providing ANY of the figures that you have.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Or the second half of the twentieth century even :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I use a USB sound adaptor for coupling my amateur radio tranceiver to my computer which is a pretty demanding application for digital modes. This gets the sensitive circuits out of the computer, much lower noise. Also, Radio Shack sells a small audio transformer that is ideal for isolation, can't find part number right now but it is pretty easy to find on the rack. That is if you are comfortable doing a little soldering to make up cables including the transformer.

Reply to
Eric Furness

This thread is a hoot.

Didn't they go through the dial-up modem craze in the UK? What's a cheap V90 modem go for now a days, $12? Don't they all have audio outputs?

Luck; Ken

Reply to
Ken Maltby

Tantalums typically fail, sometimes violently if connected reversed. They are not used for this.

Use either a metal film (plastic) type or ceramic, rated for at least 250V. Metal film is preferred.

Reply to
kony

The guys above know their stuff! Something with a plastic dielectric - or even a ceramic will do. Nothing special in the way of polarisation - and certainly nothing as exotic/expensive/unreliable as a tantalum. A 250VDC rating is more than enough. Its there to pass the audio but to prevent the transformer shorting the service provider's DC supply - that's all!

John A

Reply to
John A

250V rating is actually marginal. That is barely 2x the peak ring voltage. 400V would be a safer rating. That is what I used last time I made a telephone line connection circuit.
Reply to
Richard Crowley

You'd better tell BT to stop using 250VDC rated capacitors in this application, then.

Reply to
John A

Maybe you guys use lower voltages over there on your side of the Pond. Telephone lines are really pretty hazardous things, especially to solid-state equipment.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

application, then.

Nope.

equipment.

Not that hazardous to plastic caps tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It's called a "voicemodem" it's a voice-capable modem, and the cheap ones approximate the desired price. There exists software to turn a PC into an answering machine etc.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Not for appropriately designed equipment. Transformers are simple, easy, quick, and effective; about 20 years ago 100% silicon single chip solutions started to be available outside the telco manufacturing stream. I remember seeing all silicon SLIC (subscriber line interface circuit) about 30 years ago.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

The transformer is no longer required, the requirement is performance based, and there are all silicon, resistor, capacitor solutions. They do take some expertise to implement. A transformer (better a store bought TIA or DAA) is quite the better solution for OP.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I have never seen any normal PC sound card with isolation transformers built in.

Check the ground loop information and solving tips here:

Here you can find list of some audio isolation transformer products

Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl