PCB track thickness

What would the recommended PCB track thickness be for minimal temperature rise when carrying a current of 12A rms continuous?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a thicker 3oz (105um) track to using a 2oz (70um) track except cost?

I am trying to fit tracks into a very small transformer core and I need the optimum track size and thickness.

Reply to
johanwagener

Why don't you lay the track down any thickness/width you find reasonable and solder a #10 wire over the top of it?

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

A width chart from Mil 275 appears here:

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hmmm. Sounds pretty much^2 too small...

Lets calc (sorry for the european units ;-)...

Cu has a rho=1.72E-8Ohm/m.

Your profile has 105E-6 x 70E-6 m^2 = ~7E-9 m^2

The resistance of a 1m piece would have 2.34Ohm, one inch has approx.

0.06Ohm. (R = rho * length/section; 1m == 39,37")

With a current of 12amps rms this would give a power dissipation of approx. 8W per inch. (P=I^2*R)

This simply can't fit!

Heinz

Reply to
Heinz Liebhart

Get the thickest copper plating you can get, within reason. I once bought a board with 4 oz copper - I don't know if it comes any thicker than that.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's not european units but international units ;-) So not to be sorry.

[...]

Christian

--
---