PCB's in liquid nitrogen

Does anyone have experience using printed circuit boards at liquid nitrogen temperatures? The best I could find on the web was liquid nitrogen used for stress testing PCB's.

The boards will be single sided and have either wires or through hole components attached, resistors and diodes (nothing active). At the moment I'm most concerned with having the copper traces peel up from the substrate. Would heavier copper help? (2 oz. or 4 oz.) I would hope to use a standard substrate material FR-4, G10....

Thanks,

George Herold

Reply to
ggherold

You're cooling them by 220K ~= 400°F. What temperature difference do they see when they go from 100°C preheat to floating on a molten solder bath?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com kirjoitti:

FR4 based PCBs work just fine both in liquid nitrogen and liquid helium.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

I don't think you'll have any problems with the board. Wide range temp cycling can stress surfmount solder joints, so thru-hole parts are probably safer.

John

elium.

Excellent! Thanks Mikko, I'll be torturing things next week, (dunking in LN2) but thought I'd get some sage advice before starting.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Large sized SMD components crack sometimes if the card gets thermally recycled several times. But typically SMDs are no problem at all in non-commercial experimental-type work. I'd say they are even OK in commercial work if your circuit is typically just cooled once and then stays at 77K or 4K for long periods of time. But for commercial work must experiment with your particular devices because you are likely to operate them outside the specs anyway. My colleagues once hung a small circuit from the seconds arm of a wall clock so that it got dipped into LN dewar and retracted from it a one-minute cycle time.

More often there are problems because the frost and condensed moisture may spoil some components if you just lift the circuit from LN and let it warm up in open air.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

lly

The circuit board will be go through lots of thermal cycling. It will be used by students to measure the Johnson noise from resistors as a function of temperature. So I expect maximum thermal stress from the students.

I thought I might try some small surface mount diodes as temperature sensors, but I can use the glass encapsulated variety if these won=92t work.

Since I have your attention I also need a robust heater that will survive repeated trips to 77K. I=92m going to try some of the 5 or 10 Watt aluminum housed power resistors made by Dale, Ohmite. Do you have any advice? I=92d rather not have to wrap my own out of resistance wire, much cheaper to buy something commercial.

George Herold

Reply to
ggherold

Regular diodes should work fine.

Minco makes slick stick-on flexible heaters. You can slap one on the back of a circuit board.

This is cute, too:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Welwyn.JPG

John

Kinda high tempco. Have you used it in cryogenic applications?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

mp

rmally

ce

Excellent the heaters on Kapton from minco look nice. -200C to

+200C. I'm at home using dial up and couldn't see your ftp link. No worries I'll check it out on Monday.

George Herold

Reply to
ggherold

emp

ermally

0

nce

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com- Hide quoted text -

Hmm, I didn't see any tempco listed. But how bad is it? If the resistance changes by less than 50% between 300 to 77K that's fine. It's only a heater after all.

George Herold

Reply to
ggherold

Data sheet says +500~+600 ppm/K, so I only get a -11.5% change over that range, if I did the math right, hardly out of tolerance considering they are +/-10% parts to begin with.

I've used the Minco polyimide film heaters as well as some TO-220 parts. The parts John is suggesting look rather rugged.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Certain components fail to operate well above that temp. That is likely why you will NOT find ANY info on any such test routines.

I would suggest a perfluorocarbon fluid like "fluorinert" from Dupont.

Also, there are likely many commercial refrigerants that would be more suitable.

What the industry typically does is use an environmental chamber at zero humidity which will go down to a couple hundred degrees F below zero. If you really need immersion, the fluorinert or a refrigerant that will not evaporate too quickly would work. The fluorinert is a dielectric fluid, meant for such purposes.

Then hard wire everything, and encapsulate

If the component count is low, as a single sided solution suggests, you could simply skip the PCB and point to point wire it, and pot the finished assembly into a monolithic block or ball.

Anyway... what you seek is environmental chambers. Not likely wise to play with a PCB and raw LN.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

That's why the right way is with an environmental chamber.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

I had double-sided SMT PCBs made for low temp work (obviously ROHS

*NON* compliant as lead solder holds up at LN temps). No problems noted at LN temps, but..the PCB was 30 mil and a vairant of Geteck (ie: NOT FR-4). I would suggest thinner copper and if cannot get Geteck use a Rogers variant (yeah,i know, more expensive).
Reply to
Robert Baer

TheQuickBrownFox wrote: : That's why the right way is with an environmental chamber.

I mostly do LHe work and there I just leave the circuit to the top of the dewar neck and let it warm up before opening the neck flange. The circuit gets flushed by evaporated, warmed-up dry helium.

With LN (there is typically no flanged neck in LN dewars) you can just quickly slip the circuit into a plastic bag and let it warm up there. Some people like to evacuate the bag or fill it with dry nitrogen, but IMO it is enough to just squeeze out most of the air. The circuit catches a small amount of moisture anyway when moved from dewar to the bag, but most of the frost (when kept in open air) comes from the unrestricted airflow that goes by the circuit and deposits its moisture on the cold surface.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

John Larkin wrote: : On Fri, 29 May 2009 13:01:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: : >> > I don't think you'll have any problems with the board. Wide range temp : >> > cycling can stress surfmount solder joints, so thru-hole parts are : >> > probably safer.

My statistics is not sufficient to really draw conlusions, but my gut feeling is that I've seen thru-hole parts break approximately as often (i.e. not often) as SMD parts. I vaguely feel that the breaking likelihood may be more closely tied with the physical size of the component. Large ones break more easily - or perhaps they are just easier to observe :)

: >The circuit board will be go through lots of thermal cycling. It will : >be used by students to measure the Johnson noise from resistors as a

OK, you cannot be completely careless then when choosing a readout amplifier with sufficiently low noise temperature, and cannot afford screwing up much with noise matching.

: >function of temperature. So I expect maximum thermal stress from the : >students.

But no fatal consequences if something breaks. I think you're safe with a quick-and-dirty PCB without taking much precautions.

: >I thought I might try some small surface mount diodes as temperature : >sensors, but I can use the glass encapsulated variety if these won?t : >work.

: Regular diodes should work fine.

I agree that they should work, but I think I encountered some funny unexpected behaviour when experimenting with both Si and Ge diodes several years ago. I forget exactly what it was (may have been below

77K anyway) and feel too lazy to find the lab notebook now. I didn't spend much time to figure it out, because I had the official Lake Shore sensors available anyway. I think there is a paper about using off-the-shelf diodes as thermometers in some back issue of the Cryogenics magazine. I'd be interested to hear about your experiences if you end up using a diode as the thermometer.

Many off-the-shelf components work at 4K and even more work at 77K. Resistor values change, so you need to measure and compensate. NP0 caps hardly change at all. X7R caps fall to 1/10 and Z5U caps freeze out completely. Inductor cores are more varied, mu collapses in most of the high-mu cores but occasionally you find a surprise core where it does not. GaAs devices typically keep functioning, but Si devices tend to freeze out below 77K, except for those enhancement-type MOSFETs whose ohmic contacts happen to be doped strongly enough (eg. 2N7000 from some manufacturers). Some Si JFETs can work at 4K when made to dissipate enough so that they internally heat up to 50-80K. A worn-out notebook where one lists which parts work and which won't work in LHe or LN belongs to every cryogenic engineers assets. I think such a notebook is what allows 'cryogenic suppliers' to ask for hefty premiums when selling parts. Unfortunately the contents of the notebook may vary when the manufacturer changes some tiny bit in their fabrication process which does not affect the room-temperature specs.

: >Since I have your attention I also need a robust heater that will : >survive repeated trips to 77K. I?m going to try some of the 5 or 10 : >Watt aluminum housed power resistors made by Dale, Ohmite. Do you : >have any advice? I?d rather not have to wrap my own out of resistance : >wire, much cheaper to buy something commercial.

Our heaters are typically deposited on-chip, so I cannot comment on durability of ordinary resistors.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

Down to nitrogen temps, diodes behave pretty well as temp sensors.

PN junctions have "carrier freeze-out" starting at about 20K. Below that, junction drop increases radically and diodes start to look like resistors, and part-to-part variations get radical. Lake Shore

sells diodes that are calibrated down to 1.4K, and somehow manage to keep them consistant. Some other people sell cryo diodes that vary wildly from batch to batch, and I have the scars to prove it.

John

kely

.

at

ou

se to

Opps my mistake quickbrownfox, I don't want to stress my boards I want to cool resistors to 77K.

George Herold

Reply to
ggherold

Based on youtube videos of PCs being sunk in liquid nitrogen and "hot rodded" to about 5X rated clocks, i would say just go for it. Watch the thermal gradients, both spatially and temporally though, that is the major cause of problems.

Reply to
JosephKK