PCB layout software

I have only the linux version. AIUI the two versions track, so look to be needing to enter a lot of library stuff.

Reply to
JosephKK

I installed it last night, 110megs later and then the need for the wing3d to see the 3D view.. It seems to work and it does 16 layers which is far more than I ever think of doing..

Now the question is, does board houses accept the format?

There are a few things in the program I would've done differently but what the hell, you can't have everything.

Reply to
Jamie

Effectively all board houses accept Gerber files, and effectively all pay-ware or open-source EDA tools generate Gerber files, so yes, it certainly does.

It's only the free-as-in-beer software that's tied to a specific PCB manufacturer (e.g., ExpressPCB, PCB Artist, etc.) where they the tools specifically generate proprietary files specifically so that you do have to use that manufacturer. (It's actually probably just regular Gerber files plus a layer of encryption...) While I personally am not that excited about such a business model, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it either; it likely works quite well for hobbyists and you just have to realize what you're getting yourself into. (Note that some of the PCB manufacturers will *give* you the actual Gerber files after you've placed an order for boards with them, other manufacturers will *sell* the Gerbers back to you, some might not have any option for obtaining the Gerbers.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

A list of such vendors would be useful. As far as I have seen, it is a null set.

That is the *only* meme I have seen in this phylum.

Obviously, a vendor genera to be avoided if you plan to make multiple runs and seek out competitive bids.

Reply to
JeffM

Advanced Circuits (4pcb.com) will give you the Gerbers after you place an order:

Agreed, although for the hobbyist market (which is, I suspect, the largest group of people using the free-as-in-beer PCB packages), this often isn't a concern.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Never took it far enough to worry about that. I just presumed it would produce Gerbers and 2X pdfs and a couple others.

Reply to
JosephKK

Note that Wings 3D is only required to create *new* 3D models, not to view a 3D layout that uses existing models.

Once upon a time, the Kicad distribution included a version of Wings. Not sure why they stopped, whether it was concern over keeping the versions in sync or if the Wings folks complained. Both are FOSS so I'd guess it was to ensure that anyone wanting to create 3D models picked up the latest version directly.

FWIW, Wings is a decent modeler for this. I recently did up one of the EA DOG

displays, including the LED backlight slab. Went together pretty quickly.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

well it does seem to produce Gerbers from what I gather. In the drill file it allows to select Gerber as a option..

Reply to
Jamie

:What is a good reliable PCB layout software, open source or freeware,if :not the best, that is available? : :last posting on this was in early 2008, things might have changed - just :wanted to be up to date.

You could even start at the beginning with perhaps still one of the best FREE pcb layout programs, ie. Protel DOS

Once you learn the ropes this works surprisingly well, even on WinXP.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Better off going straight to Protel's (also freeware) AutoTrax, which AFAIR is still downloadable from Altium's website.

If you can *find* the companion (DOS) Protel Schematic, the AutoTrax autorouting - when you disable most of it - is a most desirable layout aid. Showing remaining unrouted connections as you progressively route a board is a big step ahead of working manually from a schematic.

Steve's website

holds a lot of value for AutoTraxers.

Reply to
who where

:On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:04:39 +0800, Ross Herbert : wrote: : :>On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:01:00 -0700, Adam Smith wrote: :>

:>:What is a good reliable PCB layout software, open source or freeware,if :>:not the best, that is available? :>: :>:last posting on this was in early 2008, things might have changed - just :>:wanted to be up to date. :>

:>

:>You could even start at the beginning with perhaps still one of the best FREE :>pcb layout programs, ie. Protel DOS

:>

:>Once you learn the ropes this works surprisingly well, even on WinXP. : :Better off going straight to Protel's (also freeware) AutoTrax, which :AFAIR is still downloadable from Altium's website. : :If you can *find* the companion (DOS) Protel Schematic, the AutoTrax :autorouting - when you disable most of it - is a most desirable layout :aid. Showing remaining unrouted connections as you progressively :route a board is a big step ahead of working manually from a :schematic. : :Steve's website

holds a lot of value for :AutoTraxers.

Actually, I meant to refer to the Autotrax prog but instead I typed Easytrax. Indeed, the Airborn page header says Autotrax/Easytrax. Autotrax is definitely the way to go and this prog is available on the website.

Reply to
Ross Herbert