PCB assembly costs

Well, quite true, it depends on the space you are in, whether it is leased, and for how much. I managed to shoehorn my rather large machine into a storage area that was not being used as efficiently as I thought it was. I had it laid out like library stacks, with aisles between each shelf unit. I rearranged it so all shelves were lining the walls, and that made enough space for the machine! Quite a lesson in geometry or something.

Anyway, as I do rather small runs, like 20 -60 boards at a time, I really am not set up for a contract assembler. This really suits me, and the machine has WAYYYY more than paid for itself already. I've had it almost 10 years, now, and can't BEAR to think about all the boards I laboriously built by hand before then!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon, So over ~ten years how many boards? ... You are doing, or paying someone to do, the setup.. How much is that?

I guess what I want to know is how much do you estimate it costs you per board? (When something goes out to a board house there's time spent in connecting part numbers to products, so you save there...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Two fallacies. One is that you recovered wasted space and somehow that space is "free". Doesn't matter if you own it or are renting. The space has a cost. The other is comparing hand assembly to automatic assembly rather than using professionals. The day I turned my assembly work 100% over to a fab house (including buying the parts) was one of the best professional days I've ever had. I have never looked back.

--

Rick C
Reply to