PC based DIY Oscilloscopes, logical analyzers, spectrum analyzers, etc...

Say Joerg,

Could you give us a more complete set of specs? I think a lot of people are kicking around the idea of building something like this as a hobbyist project...

Stuff like...

Frequency range: 100kHz-1GHz Dynamic range: 80dB IF bandwidths (realizing that software can make it arbitrarily narrow so long as the analog front-end isn't overloaded) Resolution bandwidth Maximum power input (i.e., are you planning to use this with an antenna or at the output of a transmitter!) Any need for built-in switched attenuators? Or will you just bring a handful of SMC or BNC in-line fixed attenuators and mount as needed? Were you expecting it could run off of the 2.5W you can (legally) pull from a USB port? Or a wall-wart? Sweep time? (I think you said 1s before...) Price target? (My own opinion is that ~$500 is the threshold of pain... I know you might be miffed to find $43 worth of parts in a $500 piece of equipment, but realistically for the kind of volumes I think a small company initially could build, $500 seems quite reasonable ...)

I took a look at Tektronix's 8GHz "real-time" spectrum analyzer today... it's a really nice piece of work, approaching something more like a combined oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer hybrid that anything else out there. The group at Tek that designed it picked up a bunch of the Agilent spectrum analyzer guys who were laid off a couple years ago, and this seems to have really helped them (since historically Tek SAs didn't seem particularly competitive to me). The guy in charge of engineering has been doing microwave RF for a number of years and seems to know his stuff... even has a little bit (but not too much) of an arrogant air about him (that translates into, "What? You want me to build a warp core? What do you think I am -- a kindergardener?"); this probably does him more good than harm :-)

But of course that SA runs into the high 5 digit $$$ and won't even qualify as carry-on luggage, much less something you can stick in your laptop's bag... :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hello Joel,

Ok, have to get back to the barbie (steaks tonight) but you basically got it very close:

150kHz - 1GHz is fine.

As much as possible without breaking the bank.

9kHz is typical, more is ok above 100MHz

This needs to be variable and go down to a few Hz, when you are hunting wee noises. But it isn't a large cost factor.

No high power, only hooked up to antennas and near-field probes. Should have a couple "angst diodes" in case somebody has the audacity to hook a circuit to it.

No attenuators. Have never needed one in 20 years.

Yes.

Or a wall-wart?

No, unless there is no other way.

A few secs is ok.

You can get a handheld one for $200-300 already. With display, rechargeable battery, the whol nine yards.

That's way too expensive....

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Good specs, Joerg... now we'll see if this goes anywhere!

Yeah, but I bet it was designed & manufactured in somewhere like China or Korea!

This thing -->

Joel Kolstad

Hello Joel,

Nope, in Germany:

Click on "Digitale HF & NF-Messgeräte", top right. You can switch the site to English as well. Then download the PDF price list for the RF spectrum analyzers. Pretty amazing. Now imagine what would happen if they'd make a "faceless" version. Unfortunately in a discussion on the German equivalent of s.e.d. they seem not to be intent on doing that. If not I guess someone else will. Some day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg,

Fair enough; I'll take a close look there.

Still -- from the point of view of, "What is this worth to you?," surely $500 for a faceless SA box is a decent bargain when you're going to spend more than that just on a plane ticket & hotel for pretty much anywhere you take it to, no? :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hello Joel,

The client pays for ticket and hotel, not for the analyzer :-)))

Sure $500 would be ok if performance is on par. But if I can buy an analyzer that's good enough, has a display and costs $250 then no, it would be too much. Why would I want to spend $500 in that case? For business people this is stuff that has to be factored into "overhead". Got to keep the lid on those costs.

Anyhow, cost is secondary. What I (and certainly lots of others) need is some little USB pod that can do EMI analysis and tolerates being banged around on rough flights. Little LCD displays don't always survive that and when you arrive and the LCD has that big blue or yellow splotch in the middle the best analyzer behind it isn't going to do any good.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg