Partly off topic - electronic slider

Hi to all.

I have one problem and 100 ideas how to solve this, but none of them seems OK. One guy wants to replace button press with some electronics that would do the same. Additional problem is that this button must be pressed and after you press it, mechanism returns this button back up.

The best example would be return push button or pen ( accept i dont need any blocker after press ). Like some simple return push button. As long as you press and hold it, you have contact.

Now, the funny part. I can not dismantle any of this existing mechanism. Only thing that i can do is to add something to the button top, that will simulate the press.

What do you think, what would be ok for this purpose. Btw. button should be pressed each minute or depending on tracing speed.

GM

Reply to
gm

What's an "electronic slider"? Google suggests some kind of photographic equipment, as it's past lunch time, makes me think of tiny hamburgers..

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

So, you want a momentary-contact button to be replaced by solid state electronics? If a constant time-of-contact is what you envision, this would be a 'monostable', you'd want a NE555 or similar chip to do the task. Depending on your initiating event and the behavior of the 'return', there are lots of other options. There are lots of ways to generate a suitable trigger to start the button-down-like cycle.

The 'slider' word suggests a continuous range, but most 'button' actuators are attached to switches.

Reply to
whit3rd

You might consider if you could preform some nitinol wire into a convex form (i.e., "button up") that the user could physically deform (button down). Then, when you want to "release" the button (return it to the "up" position), apply heat "momentarily".

[Assuming I've understood your requirements]
Reply to
Don Y

The question doesn't make much sense - a slider that's a push switch to be operated by who knwos what, doing who knows what electrically? Ya, sure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

-------------- Thank you all for reply.

@Whit3rd

- i was thinking about some actuator like AS -03

but i dont think that this is some cheap solution. Hooking it up on arduino or something like that could do the job ?

@Don Y your idea in great am i will use it in one other project !

Reply to
gm

BTW. yep , slider was not a best word for this description. Sorry about that guys.

Reply to
gm

possibly, I don't see specs for that

The pwm commanded servos initially developed for radio controlled models seem popular with the arduino fans, just fit an arm or cam that presses the button.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Idea #101:

How about a variation on this:

which is a variation on this:

both of which come with a pedigree of long standing:

Enjoy...

Frank McKenney (who owned one of the black plastic electro-mechanical boxes... er, SomeTimeBack(tm). )

--
  Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations.  I may
  not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in