Outdoor Power Supply

I have been graced with the task of finding an outdoor power supply and am hoping that I can get a few ideas here. We are tying to use as many off the shelf parts as possible to keep costs down. Here are the requirements.

110v AC in 24v DC out (filtered) 600MA UL rated

I need to feed a control box within a NEMA 4 enclosure. The ideal solution would allow the unit to be pluggged into a GFIC protected outlet with a "constant use" cover. All I seem to be able to find are the "wall mount" type and they are too large for a standard outdoor receptacle and cover.

An outdoor rated adapter with a feed cord and output cord is proving to be pretty hard to find.

I hope that someone can help in my very frustrating quest.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
rrold1

I've seen switching wall-warts that can handle that kind of power in a package the size of a pack of cigarettes. How big is a NEMA-4?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

NEMA-4 is a weatherproofness spec. If you pony up the bucks, they'll make one any size you want.

Reply to
JeffM

On 17 Nov 2005 07:02:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wroth:

I'd use a bare pc board type ac-dc power supply mounted inside the NEMA enclosure with a line cord added.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

Here are the NEMA Specs:

NEMA 1 - Indoor use with some protection against contact with enclosed equipment. NEMA 2 - Indoor use with some protection against minimal amounts of falling water or dirt. NEMA 3 - Outdoor use with some protection against windblown dust, rain or sleet. NEMA 3R - Outdoor use with some protection against falling rain or sleet. NEMA 4 - Indoor or Outdoor use with some protection against windblown dust or rain, splashing or hose directed water. NEMA 4X - Indoor or Outdoor use with some protection against corrosion, windblown dust or rain, splashing or hose directed water. NEMA 12 - Indoor use with some protection against dust, falling dirt and dripping, noncorrosive liquids. NEMA 13 - Indoor use with some protection against dust, sprayed water, oil and non-corrosive liquids.

The bare power supply is one option. I would like to keep the NEMA case as small as possible and eliminate the need for a power supply cover within the box. A separate outdoor rated power supply would also allow the use of a less expensive NEMA 3/3R since there would only be 24VDC within the box. With all of the outdoor low voltage items available today, I can't believe that I can't find something that will work "off the shelf". Mailbu makes outdoor light kits that include an outdoor power supply (with a timer), 20 lights and wire. These kits can be had for under $40.00.

Still looking..

Steve

Reply to
rrold1

Ok, and what does it mean ? Dripping water ? Spray water ? hosed water ? submersed 1m ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar