OT: YT once again censoring contrarians

Doctor who promoted the acquisition of herd immunity as the most effective - and least economically ruinous - way to beat CV-19 has his video pulled by Youtube.

Up to their old tricks yet again.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I miss the old internet where content rose to the top based on popularity and each individual could chose to believe or not believe what was presented.

Reply to
bulegoge

In what sense does that "beat CV-19"? Isn't that a total victory for the virus? Not something I'd call "effective" either.

Reply to
whit3rd

Promoting herd immunity from their basement bunker getting food delivered

Reply to
bitrex

"he?s been proven correct while some Americans still can?t see what?s right in front of them: this whole thing was planned for domination and control of humanity by the very select few elitists."

tHe jEwS diD iT

Reply to
bitrex

So he's a murderous idiot? Just the sort of person Cursitor Doom would spring to defend.

I'd have to watch the video to find out who it was and why he actually got banned, which would take more time than I'm prepared to invest in finding out what Cursitor Doom got wrong this time.

The fact Cursitor Doom imagines that it was because the doctor was pushing the "herd immunity" approach - and the millions of deaths it entails - may not be the whole story.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I think YouTube had a de-monetization policy for C-19 videos so it could be as simple as a request like "if you would like me to continue to tell you what you want to hear, please send me money on "

it's almost always some technicality that's in the fine print of the terms of service for anyone who takes the time to read it.

Reply to
bitrex

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:ra9rdm$cea$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

herd immunity is a LAME method in this pandemic.

Sweden is an abject and utter failure.

Pick 4 of your relatives to never see again.

goddamned putz mentality bullshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yeah I still remember the BBS days and messages like "who posted that ugly bitch?"

Bwuahahahahahah!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Are the 50% of Fox News viewers who believe Bill Gates wants to implant microchips in them via his vaccine former Windows users?

Reply to
bitrex

It depends how you do it. The herd immunity approach might well have been the rational solution to optimising the conflicting requirements of saving as many lives as possible whilst still being able to pay for it.

Sweden and The Netherlands are the obvious test cases. The latter is doing a lot better than Belgium (in total lockdown) in this respect.

If you do it right you can get to herd immunity with the absolute minimum number of casualties. Impossible to achieve in practice but probably still a better plan than praying for deliverance or waiting for a vaccine that may never come or if it does is only partially effective.

We are saving lives now at *ANY* cost (putting a vastly higher value on a life than actuaries ever would under normal circumstances) and at the expense of creating a massive debt to mortgage the next generation.

I reckon when the situation is analysed in detail the correct strategy will be shown to be to have locked down everyone with pre-existing health conditions and all those over 40 to keep the economy ticking over whilst protecting all of those most likely to die of the disease.

You have to make exceptions to allow critical workers and medics to continue to go to work (but that is true even in a full lockdown).

Certain things would still have to shut down but we have become so risk averse that everything was shut down apart from absolute essentials.

Figures available even early on suggested that sort of strategy would result in about 0.05% of fatalities in the unlocked population which in the UK would be about 33k (we have already killed way more than that).

UK was basically following a herd immunity approach until they panicked and jumped ship at about the worst possible time having let the virus get a really good hold. Major national racing events like Cheltenhan did a truly fabulous job of spreading the virus far and wide.

They made a few fateful *very* bad decisions early on.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

But in another way it's a good sign, as it shows that TPTB are rattled because they know they're losing their previously-unshakeable grip on the flow of ideas and information. Currently, five new conspiracy-realists emerge somewhere in the world every second.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom lives in some cloud-cuckoo land where the powers that be once had some grip on the flow of ideas and information.

When spreading information cost serious money, this didn't stop a whole of seriously silly ideas getting propagated by people with money, but now that it's lot cheaper a whole lot more silly ideas have become available.

And mostly step under buses. If your grasp of reality is weak enough to let you embrace the kinds of twaddle that Cursitor Doom peddles, you really aren't up to coping with moving traffic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:raaob7$eok$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yeah... the flat earthers.

I saw a video from a guy who makes flat earth and moon shot denier debunking videos once a week. It is really funny what some of the loons think.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sweden is failing at this. Despite trying to get herd immunity, and sacrificing a much higher number of people than its neighbours, it hasn't got anything like enough people with antibodies. The number usually given for herd immunity is 60%, though there is huge uncertainty there. In Stockholm, where the proportion of Swedes with Covid-19 is highest, the epidemiologists thought they could reach 20% - a recent random survey showed about 7% had antibodies. That is a /long/ way from what would be needed.

Part of the trouble is that a fair proportion of the people in Sweden are reasonably well informed. They know that Covid-19 is not pleasant, and carries a significant risk of death or serious health problems - and informed people take precautions themselves when the government doesn't enforce enough restrictions.

There is no reason to assume that herd immunity is even possible - certainly it is not something to rely on. There is a high probability that one or more successful vaccines will be developed, though it takes time to do so. In fact, /if/ herd immunity is possible, then we can be almost certain that a vaccine will also be possible - vaccines work by stimulating the same adaptive immune system that herd immunity builds on, but they do so with a far smaller risk of symptoms or side-effects, and can give /better/ immunity than you get from the disease.

This is a new situation for the world. Mistakes and poor balance choices are inevitable, and hopefully we'll learn a bit more and be better prepared for the next pandemic.

I think it is almost certainly not going to be that simple. But I agree that with hindsight and experience, better plans can be made for the future.

They did indeed.

The most important lesson, I think, should be to avoid electing morons to lead your country. Sensible and responsible leaders may not be a guarantee that a country will do well in a pandemic, but having an irresponsible clown (like the USA, UK and Brazil) does guarantee that it will do badly.

Reply to
David Brown
[snip spot-on comment]

I think Boris is trying to purposely kill off all the elderly and vulnerable people in the UK and hoping to escape culpability through his reputation for being a serial blunderer. He's hoping it will all just be seen in retrospect as a series of well-intentioned but ultimately bad decisions. No one (with the possible exception of Pammy and D i m) could

*genuinely* be that incompetent IMV.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yeah, Censorship is not the right path. Treating everyone as idiots makes us all idiots. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You don't get to pick.