OT: Windows font "problem" - Taliban looking squiggle crap

Sorry for the OT, but someone here probably knows....?

In Word, Excel, Outlook, etc..(Office 2013), when I click the font dropdown box, I see the name of the font on the left side of the box (as normal). I f it happens to be a fancy stylized font, I usually see the name of the fon t displayed according to what it would actually look like if printed. OK, so far, so good. Things look normal.

But then, on some fonts, I also see what looks like foreign language charac ters on the far right side of the same dropdown box. (This is on the main Excel ribbon user interface, for example, not VBA or anything that I am pro gramming, etc..)

Doesn't do it on Notepad or Wordpad. In Photoshop Elements, it groups together all the fonts that do this, but I can't decipher how it "knows".

I don't recall this PC ever doing this? What the hell?! Then again, I am getting older.... :) I'm not even sure what to "Google" to try to "fix" it. (If it's even broke n?)

I did confirm that my PC language and keyboard settings are correct, etc.., and that there are no foreign "language packs" installed. When I go into "Control Panel", "Fonts", the fonts that do this are listed as "Hide". May be Office-2013 just ignores those settings?

It's like all of the sudden, all this extra stuff is just showing up on the right-hand side of my font selection drop downs. Everything's working OK, but I just don't want "Taliban looking squiggle-crap" on my computer!

Maybe this is normal. (?) Is anyone else's Windows-7 PC doing this? Thanks! (Again, sorry for the OT).

Maybe I should just delete those fonts? Not really sure how they even got in there in the first place. ? I don't speak, type, read, or write Narkisi m, whatever the hell that is?! (See below for example.)

mpm

wn box, I see the name of the font on the left side of the box (as normal). If it happens to be a fancy stylized font, I usually see the name of the f ont displayed according to what it would actually look like if printed. OK , so far, so good. Things look normal.

acters on the far right side of the same dropdown box. (This is on the mai n Excel ribbon user interface, for example, not VBA or anything that I am p rogramming, etc..)

I can't decipher how it "knows".

ken?)

., and that there are no foreign "language packs" installed. When I go int o "Control Panel", "Fonts", the fonts that do this are listed as "Hide". M aybe Office-2013 just ignores those settings?

he right-hand side of my font selection drop downs. Everything's working O K, but I just don't want "Taliban looking squiggle-crap" on my computer!

But you might, if you ever learned a language that used a non-Latin based c haracter set.

Cyrlic looks odd, and so does Greek. Thai looks even odder.

A whole lot of languages use the Arabic font, which does appear on Taliban placards, as a well as on a whole lot more placards saying that the Taliban are bunch of dangerous jerks.

I used Libre-Office and Traditional Arabic is one of the fonts it offers, a nd Narkisim (which is a Hebrew font.

No use to me, but one of my wife's graduate students might find it handy.

t in there in the first place. ? I don't speak, type, read, or write Narki sim, whatever the hell that is?! (See below for example.)

But you might. It's never too late to learn a foreign language, and acquiri ng a second language seems to be correlated with developing Alzheimer's fiv e years later than monolinguals.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Stylistic Hebrew..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't think that you need to intentionally install foreign language packs to see W7 or later supporting Asian fonts. This one didn't.

RL

Reply to
legg