OT: What is this Intel Parallel Studio?

You can bet that the oil tycoons are using advanced software engineers to write their advanced programs.

Reply to
CellShocked

For the most part, right on the money.

One has to think, however, that there are a lot of kids out there that are just as smart as you were when you were their age. And that tax their PC pretty good, and that likely even have PCs that make your pale, due to the family's wealth level differences.

This is despite the decline in the educational averages we are seeing in the US these days. Some kids just get endowed with a knack for some things.

Today though...

The kids don't even know how to pull their pants up these days, and the really sad thing is that it has been happening long enough that their are adult aged idiots out there that do not know how to wear their pants up past their ass cracks too! Scary.

Reply to
CellShocked

"CellShocked" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I was a bit surprised the first time I was using a terminal emulator I wrote to discover that scrolling through a text buffer became noticeably slower when the machine was receiving RS-232 characters continuously (it was bit-banged serial @ 2400bps, so used a fair amount of CPU cycles per character receiver). Suddenly 1MHz (a 6502) no longer seemed "infinitely" fast...

I've seen ads on Craigslist where teens are selling their their advanced cell phones (e.g., those running Windows Mobile or Androis or similar) because they're "too complicated to use."

The grammar and spelling you see on Craigslist is generally a sad commentary on society today.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Its all about the LEAD! Autism , retardation! They all have their excuses..

Reply to
Jamie

It would make the swap / virtual memory operate at near memory speeds, instead of the 100,000 times slower disk speeds. Of course just using more RAM is often cheaper and more effective (eliminate the need for swap entirely and remove it).

Reply to
JosephKK

I am afraid it wouldn't help that much even with a RAID0 array of SSD. The seek time is very much better than a physical platter drive but you are still limited by the external bus transfer rate which is typically for sustained activity on an SSD about 250MBps read and half that for writes. The latter hurts in a virtual memory swap file application.

They are magic for random lookups of multigigabyte datasets though.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's a rather different issue. The one under discussion here relates to how much faster a dual-core processor can run than a single-core processor when all the non-cached memory accesses still use the same memory bus.

Improving disk transfer times is always desirable, but it doesn't relate in any particular way to the number of processors on the die.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

and

Yes, and how much do you get out of a swap volume (not normally RAIDable)? 50 MB/s? (sequential read, and how much of that occurs) and do remember that random (to the disk) reads, which may be frequent, incur head movement overhead of milliseconds. In SSD this is microseconds. Just reinforces my preference for more RAM instead. Of course there is the write lifetime issue for SSD as well, if used as swap, life could be on the order of months.

Reply to
JosephKK

and

=20

Parallel Studio is basically a marketing move. Home and most office applications do not profit from multicore CPUs. I surely do not find noticeably better response from MSWord (or competitors) on dual core machines than i get on single core machines. I only see modest to moderate differences in the simulation phase with LTSpice. Most computer use is actually USER bound these days.

Reply to
JosephKK