OT: Unable to view Dropbox images at correct resolution

I posted this question in the Dropbox forum more than a week ago but the problem remains unsolved. The two replies from a moderator were just requests for more details.

This is the thread:

Here's a sample image. It will be nice if you could let me know if you can view it at the correct size of 300x250 pixels which should show as a small sharp image. I can see only a large blurry display.

Pimpom

tirsdag den 1. september 2020 kl. 20.47.32 UTC+2 skrev Pimpom:

first correct size, then it zooms in to fit the window (~300%), then the side bar comes up and it is zoomed to ~200%

only zoom (+) works

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Same results as above reply - this on Firefox 79.0 on OSX 10.13.6

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

I copied the image, into Irfanview, and it's 300 x 250 x 24 there. It looks about the same in Firefox and Irfanview.

They must have been drunk when they coded that.

If you click on the scale value it zooms back to unit scale, which is of course all it should have done from the get-go.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

yeh, hovering/clicking the value alternates between "zoom to fit" and "view actual size"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

At least it does that now, that is, get it to 100% when I click the zoom scale. It didn't work before. I tried everything I could think of. Maybe they're working on it and this is a work in progress.

Reply to
Pimpom

I tried it with Chrome and Firefox, both while logged in and logged out. Same result every time.

Reply to
Pimpom

At least that works now. It didn't before. Maybe they're working on it.

I didn't use Dropbox for quite some time (>1 year) and it didn't behave this way before that.

Reply to
Pimpom

Downloading or just copying an image to a viewer always got it in the correct size. The problem is in viewing it on the site. I tried it with Chrome and Firefox and the results were the same.

At least *now* it's possible to view at 100% by clicking on the zoom scale, as someone mentioned. That didn't work before.

Reply to
Pimpom

It has got a rescale to window script lurking in there somewhere. Behind it is the 300x250 PNG image which is accessible to save.

I think they intended to be helpful but it does bad things to line art.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The zoom doesn't work for me. Right click and "view image" gets me the photo alone and I can do with it what I want without saving it to disk which is always a PITA.

This is about on the level of recognizing a voltmeter input can, in some circumstances, drain a battery more than expected.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

"Right click and view image" in Firefox (Right click and 'open image in a new tab' in Chrome) resulted in the same incorrect display size before, with no way to get it to 100%. I tried everything I could think of and this was one of the first things I tried.

As I said in reply to someone else, they must be working on it and partially fixed it. It would still be better if the image was shown at the correct resolution to start with *and* the zoom button worked in both directions.

Reply to
Pimpom

Pops up at 171% filling about 2/3 of a 124x768 screen. No ulra-sharp,but not blurry either.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The image is rendered in different sizes and locations in the window at least four or five times before finally staying put. This isn't helpful. It's a mess.

Simple is better.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

If you have right clicked an opened the image file in another tab, anything further is not a problem with drop box. At that point it is just an image. The problem with zoom is in your browser. I'm using Firefox and my zoom works fine.

When I open it as an image it is small at 100%. I have to magnify it to see any detail, but I guess my eyes are older than yours.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but like the guy with the battery drain issue, you should be familiar enough with viewing images in a browser that this isn't a problem you can't diagnose.

I think we are not communicating still. I don't know how an image in the browser window would not work with zoom.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

You're right in that we are not communicating. Let me address your points as follows (I don't like interleaved replies if it can be avoided)

Right-clicking and viewing in another tab works NOW, not before. That is, it now displays at 100% in another tab. It didn't work a few days ago.

I use both Chrome and Firefox. The problem was exactly the same with both browsers. When I talk about zooming, I mean the zoom buttons provided by Dropbox, *not* the browsers' zoom feature.

I've been in electronics for >50 years. I'm lucky to still have reasonably good eyesight. I can still read a newspaper without glasses on my verandah during the day. I use glasses only for close-up work like soldering SMDs and for reading in less-than-good light.

This isn't about zooming with a browser. It's about the site's zooming tool which controls the image alone, not the whole page.

When I used Dropbox more than a year ago, the site's zoom tool worked as expected. An image could be zoomed in or out without having to open it in another tab.

Reply to
Pimpom

d%26New.png?dl=0

he photo alone and I can do with it what I want without saving it to disk w hich is always a PITA.

ome circumstances, drain a battery more than expected.

hing further is not a problem with drop box. At that point it is just an i mage. The problem with zoom is in your browser. I'm using Firefox and my zoom works fine.

o see any detail, but I guess my eyes are older than yours.

rain issue, you should be familiar enough with viewing images in a browser that this isn't a problem you can't diagnose.

he browser window would not work with zoom.

I know what you are talking about. I'm telling you how to work around the p roblem rather than being limited to thinking about the issue one way. If y ou wait for Dropbox to improve their UI you may be waiting a long time. I have my own web site and can post anything I want in a directory that I can share with everyone or just one person by the use of a password if I want. Sooooo... much better than dropped the box.

I'm talking about zooming just the image because that's all that will be in the tab if you open the image in a new tab. Dropbox won't be able to infl uence that in any way, shape or form.

I really don't care about dropbox and around 99% of the other web sites on the Internet. Most are crap and barely work at all. I was at vendor's web site over the weekend that couldn't serve up their main page without repor ting a 404 error. It was polite enough to present me with a very pretty er ror page however.

Google Groups is a perfect example. This site sucks slime, but I use it wi th all its warts because I am tired of messing with crap software for readi ng newsgroups. It may suck, but I never have to worry about it getting blo wn away and having to reinstall it.

With as many warts as Dropbox I tolerate GG because it is the shortest path between two points.

Don't expect Dropbox to be fixed anytime soon.