OT: Tracking Mains Wires in the Walls

A conductor is not going to give off magnetic unless its feeding something. Now, if you use a switch, you can switch in a coil or a probe, to get either component, but to get specific wires close to others, you also need a high freq generator. greg

Reply to
szekeres
[....]

How about this:

---+---/\\/\\/------+----- Vcc ! ! ! \\ --- !/ / --- ---! \\ ! ! !\\e VX ! ! ! ! ! ! Vx ! ! Vx / ! ! +-----/\\/\\--- Load \\ +------------+ ! / ! ! ! ! !/ ! ! +--! ! !/e ! !\\e ---! ! +-/\\/\\-!!- Vx !\\ --- ! ! --- \\ GND ! / GND \\ ! GND

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I never thought of this, but if you used a stereo amplifier, you could feed static to left and magnetic to right, using headphones would get some interesting results.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I used to do this when I was a kid, and I got both electrostatic and magnetic coupling to an unshielded coil, and you could hear the difference. Try it.

John

In article , wrote: [... tracing wires ...]

I don't think this is right.

If you impose a low frequency common mode AC signal onto a power line you will be able to follow it with something that detects AC magnetic fields.

If you impose a high frequency signal, it will couple into nearby lines. If two lines run a long distance side by side and then diverge, you won't be able to tell which one is which.

It would be a fairly simple matter to put a few amps of, lets say, mains / 2 Hz onto a wire. A coil on a high mu core would be able to see it fairly easily. Since you have access to the transmitter, you can use a sync rect in the detector stage to improve things further.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Right. So connect a load, something characteristic maybe, like a dimmer of a blender.

If the pickup coil is unshielded, it will pick up the E field as well, which does *not* need current. But I said that already.

The shape of the E or H fields won't depend on the frequency, at least not until you get way beyond the audible range. Way beyond.

Try it.

John