OT: Toaster oven problem

gonna heat up to approach the inner surface

Have some automotive heat shield mats on order, was going to put them inside - in the air space where i had the fiberglass. Are you saying it would be better to put the mats on the outside?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Do NOT use a toaster oven to cook dishes that require 400 degrees and HOURS to cook!

How stupid! They are not, in any way, made for such a purpose.

None whatsoever. It is a hot cavity. Period.

It slows the migration of heat. It doesn't stop it. So it simply takes a bit longer to heat up the 'protected side'. Still, it is stupid to use the device for any session which requires a term long enough to cause excessive external heating. It is not "a desktop oven".

They are meant for short burst cooking, not long term dishes which requires hours of cook time.

After you account for the clay? (between your ears)

Reply to
VelCrowPhly

ing

wer

e oven is gonna heat up to approach the inner surface

hem

The heat doesn't care. Outside seems easier for you, and makes more heat dissipating area.

But you're the one with the toaster--you've got to decide what's safe, and what makes sense. For example, anything you put in the cooking compartment had better be food safe and nastiness-free. You wouldn't want to cook wires or plastic either.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I certainly agree, and a turbo toaster over should never be left unattended. A small oven excels in startup time and small footprint.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

cool).

Oh it's a turbo oven!! Mine has similar setup, but with my removable basket, it's so easy to through frozen fries, hot dogs, pop it in, pop it out. Never have to stick hand inside. They just don't seem to make these insulated very well. I have to watch what's nearby. Got a wool cutting board on top. Has not caught fire yet.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

is gonna heat up to approach the inner surface

Outside would be helpful anyway, even if it didn't change the surface area. Finger burning is about more than just temperature. A finger can absorb a certain amount of energy without burning, and then transport a certain amount of power away indefinitely, also without burning. Reducing the thermal conductivity and capacity of the surface helps get that initial energy burst, and subsequenty power, down below the burning threshold.

Also, even if there's enough power coming out to burn the finger eventually, the owner of the finger has more time to react before that point is reached.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

cool).

This is only about my turbo oven. Here is the greatest turbo of all time for the home. There is nothing else like, and they quit making it 10 years ago. I tried to contact toastmaster, forget that.

I was also looking at all models on eBay. Many commercial models are not approved for home use. Many of the better models are 1500 watts minimum. ALL will get hot outside.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

a=20

Reducing=20

Exactly. A piece of aluminum foil in the sun gets as hot as a chrome car =

bumper, but you can pick up the foil without getting burned, but not the =

bumper (notwithstanding needing bigger muscles).

A friend makes thermal wire strippers with a thin element that gets hot=20 enough to melt PVC insulation (450F). It fees hot to the touch, but if = you=20 actually grab the element in your fingers, it doesn't burn the skin.=20 Unpleasant for a second or two, but no damage. His Teflon strippers = (that=20 glow cherry red), well, that's another matter, and it comes with a heat=20 shield to protect fingers:

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

These types of appliances require high temp wiring.

Not likely.

There are differing attachment methods, and differing elements as well.

Reply to
FatBytestard

Uno: I do NOT use it for cooking food; i cook electrons instead. Dos: The inside is enameled flat black. Tre: "excessive external heating"?? When ovens have temperature controls allowing 500F or more?? And when i am using a MicrOmega controller to set temperatures no more than 204C (400F)??

Reply to
Robert Baer

is gonna heat up to approach the inner surface

Am not cooking anything; I use the oven to test electronics at elevated temperatures. I have been using a highly modified breadmaker to test electronic items one at a time. The stirrer and inner compartment got dumped, i ratted out the "electronics", and added one inch fiberglass insulation between the hotbox and the outer metal shell. Added an Omega controller and "K" thermocouple and can run it for hours at 204C and only the top home-made lid gets hot after an hour. The oven allows horizontal X-Y spread of parts in a test array so that i can test a goodly quantity at one shot; almost 2 orders of magnitude more efficient that with the breadmaker.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It depends on the thermal mass of what you are attempting to transition the temperature of. They are not made for large masses or long durations. It really is that simple.

Reply to
VelCrowPhly

Have you seen the small powdercoating oven, sold by Harbor Freight? It can be set from room temp, up to 480F/250C. The regular price is $499.99, but I've seen it on sale for $349.99.

Michael A. Terrell

THAT is actually very nice! If they had any brains, they'd make a welded stainless box inside, and make the thing vacuum capable.

THEN, folks could use it for many types of needs,not just baking a painted part. Ceramic firing kilns are pretty cheap too, in the used market. They get REAL hot!

Reply to
WoolyBully

Serves you right for buying something with "Euro" in its name ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Why aren't they using real pictures of powder coat paint bottles on that page?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

They are. That is exactly how they look in the store. You turn the gun upside down and screw those bottles onto the powder coat gun. THese are for small projects, not production work. They are the equivalent of using spray paint, instead of a full blown paint shop.

Michael A. Terrell

I was looking at the labels, which don't have any perspective distortion in the wording. I suppose it's possible to print labels so that, after they've been stuck to a bottle, and when viewed from one particular point in space relative to the bottle, they'd have the appearance shown. But it would be a lot of work, for no apparent benefit.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sure there is. They are easier to read on the shelf. It's very simple to skew an image to get the desired results. You can even do it in microsoft paint, but the easy way would be to project it onto the shape and take a photo for the printer to use. That was quite common, for decades. My interest in the oven was to bake circuit boards after repair.

Michael A. Terrell

ing

ating

power

of the oven is gonna heat up to approach the inner surface

ut them

de?

Neat project. It makes it easier too, since you're for darn sure not cooking any electronics at 450F.

I snagged a couple scrap of toaster ovens for a little low qty SMD soldering / desoldering. They worked. One drawback is horrible heat distribution--let 'er rip, and anything under the elements gets fried. A heat spreader would fix that.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat