OT stolen property

From

Stolen property.

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner.

A few other goodies there as well

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

On 14/12/2006 the venerable martin griffith etched in runes:

I really like this one:

Illegal income.

Illegal income, such as money from dealing illegal drugs, must be included in your income on Form 1040, line 21, or on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) if from your self-employment activity.

--
John B
Reply to

You must be bored as well.......

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Wow, no Form 1099 needed?

I can see it now... a guy forking over cash for drugs... "but I'm withholding XX% for medicare, social security and income taxes."

Reply to
mrdarrett

I read somewhere that the IRS allowed the listing of bribes as a business expense, as long as they weren't paid to a government official. I expect that the requirement to list income from drugs, prostitution, etc is not so much to condone those activities, but rather to give the Feebs more options to prosecute people involved in those activities in an organised way. Wasn't Al Capone finally nailed for tax evasion?

Reply to
mike.j.harvey

How about prostitution? Can you deduct 'normal wear and tear' on your schedule-C?

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Only if you are an elected politician :-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

What if the rightful owner is murdered in the process of committing the theft? Is that "Canceled debt"? If so, is it a business debt (reportable on Schedule C or C-EZ), or non business (reportable on Form 1040 line

21)? Must one demand a Form 1099-C, (Cancellation of Debt) from the victim's survivors ? Must that be done that the time of the robbery and murder or can one return to the scene at a later date for the completed form?

If its a theft of marijuana, should that be reported as profit or los from Farming (Schedule F)?

All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

And what of the male interns in DC?

Sure gives new meaning to 'professionally required clothing'

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

In the spot for occupation (on the 1040), I always wondered what they'd do if I listed mine as "Assassin (unemployed)".

It is not enough to succeed.  Others must fail. -- Gore Vidal
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Probably under "depreciation".

Reply to
mrdarrett

Why the "unemployed"? You've got income coming in... ;-)

Reply to
mrdarrett

[snip]

For the thief, as profit; report the gain on your Schedule C if you're a professional thief, or Form 1040 if thieving is just a hobby. If you're the farmer, a loss, unless your farming is an "activity not for profit," in which case you'll just have to eat it--the loss isn't deductible at all.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On 14/12/2006 the venerable martin griffith etched in runes:

I'm just back from the first night of the pantomime (lighting & sound engineer and anything more technical than banging in a nail) so this evening was quite busy. Another performance tomorrow and two on Saturday will keep me out of mischief. However we had over 4 inches of rain yoday and it has rained hard every day for the last five weeks. That's getting a bit boring. Can't even get out to walk the dog without several layers of waterproofs and we have had quite a few days when the ferry didn't run so the shops start to run out of essentials.

--
John B
Reply to

Gosh, you should become a professional accountant!

Brilliant...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Honor among thieves!

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Don't laugh, It's how the convicted Al Capone!

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen