OT speaking of (heath) kits and 3-D printing

Grin, the first thing my son made was the better nozzle.

Right the first thing I think of is taking a piece of metal/ plastic to the mill and making what I need. But we have some parts made that might be better/cheaper if done with a 3D printer. I still have to wrap my head around the possilbities.

~$170 is not much to buy one new...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It is worth it for mechanical devices rather than arty stuff. It is useless for wireframe shapes that you push and pull until they look right.

There are many user libraries around. I've used ones for fonts when printing a doorbell message in brass, and screw threads when making a handle for my Tek 12kV scope probe out of stereolithographic plastic (SLA).

There is a linux variant of OpenSCAD for those that are too dimwitted to be able to use Windows.

Paramaterisation is relatively easy, provided you construct sub-shapes in the appropriate order.

ISTR a completely different application where you explicitly declare constraint such as "this hole is halfway along that" and "this is big enough to touch that" etc. As I said, the most appropriate application depends on how you want to design.

For dimwits like me, Netfabb also runs under WINE.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It depends on what you're really into but for a 3D modeling (as opposed to CAD) program, I really like Sketchup. I don't know if there is a 3D printer output for it but it wouldn't surprise me.

Reply to
krw

Yes, I've done a number of design studies for customers showing how boards go into cases (KiCad will do a 3D model of a board that can be imported into FreeCad), and I've done one hobby project for real (a pilot figure for a model airplane).

Do you _really_ think you're going to get time on _his_ machine? You'll be last in line, buddy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 11:35:51 AM UTC-4, George Herold wrote: I think my son is using

I repeat look at Autodesk 123D. It is free and I suspect similar to Autodesk inventor.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Grin.. no it's not like that. Though if there was lots of demand another printer is cheap. Do you have any idea what people charge for time? My WAG was $2/hr. (with some setup fee..)

The kinematics of a 3D printer must be an interesting subject.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

OK, and maybe he (the boy) already understands the interface. I was telling (bragging to) my brother about the 3D and he said, Goodie (A common friend, but more his buddy) is doing all sorts of printing these days, and was saying that the software is free now... Autodesk fits the bill.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

From Wikipedia: "All 123D apps will be discontinued by Autodesk beginning November 2016 and completing March 2017."