OT: sense of scale!

Hi,

I was thinking of how big the universe/galaxies are etc compared to the solar system, and here is the best way to visualize I could think of, of the below sizes it shows the biggest relative scale difference is between the solar system and the milky way diameter.

cheers, Jamie

average human height 1.65m

Earth diameter 12,742,000 m

Earth orbit diameter 299.19574 billion meters (Earth lies at an average distance of 149.59787 million kilometers (93 million miles) from the Sun)

Solar system diameter 9.09 trillion meters (Solar System would have a radius of 4.545 billion km and a 9.09 billion km diameter)

Milky way diameter 9.461e+20 meters (The Milky Way is only 100,000 light years in diameter)

Universe diameter 870.412e+24 (the diameter of the observable universe a sphere around 92 billion light-years)

(1 light year = 9.461e+15 meters)

Compare ratios:

----------------

average human height (1.65m) to earth diameter ratio: 7722424.2424 (earth's diameter is 7722424.2424 times larger than the average human height)

earth diameter to earth orbit diameter ratio: 23481.065 (earth's orbit diameter around the sun is 23481.065 times larger than earth's diameter)

earth orbit diameter to solar system diameter ratio: 30.38 (solar system is 30.38 times larger diameter than earth's orbit diameter)

solar system diameter to milky way diameter ratio: 104081408.14081408 (milky way is 104081408 times larger diameter than the solar system's diameter)

milky way diameter to universe diameter ratio: 920000 (the universe is

920000 times larger diameter than the milky way diameter)
Reply to
Jamie M

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
bitrex

If you want a visualisation then apart from the ghostly (or should it be ghastly) music the scale of the universe website is quite nice.

Zoom in or out rings at every power of 1000x either way.

NASAs is rather dry by comparison

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 01:17:15 -0500 (EST), bitrex Gave us:

It is an animated gif file so you have to wait for it and watch it to see it all, but our planet is a pretty small spec of dust.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 01:17:15 -0500 (EST), bitrex Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Hi,

The simple ratio's I made are a lot simpler way to get a sense of scale than visualizing 25 or more consecutive powers of 10. Here's a more simple way to see it from the human size scale to the universe size scale with only 5 consecutive numbers instead of 27 consecutive powers of 10 in the site you linked to.

  1. The universe diameter is about the same as 920000 milky way diameters

  1. The milky way diameter is about the same as 104081408 solar system diameters

  2. The solar system diameter is about the same as 30 earth orbit diameters

  1. Earth's orbit diameter is about the same as 23481 earth diameters

  2. The earth diameter is about the same as 7722424 average height humans

I should apply it the other way, microscopically, down to 10-35m, so maybe the whole range of 10^-35m to 10^27m could be done with 10 unique scale diameter ratios on common diameter objects, instead of 62+ powers of 10.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

those are what, an inch and a half?

what are those, 4 metres or so?

Scale is a funny thing.

someone else

Reply to
tabbypurr

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

This film, though old, is interesting.

We're now down to 10^-18 m (Quarks) but that still leaves 14 orders of magnitude between that and the Planck length*

A more modern film

  • presumably the round-off error in the computer that's running the simulation we're living in- so about 200 bit words.
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's a remake of a film by the same name that they showed us in grade school. It was worth the remake.

Reply to
krw

You think they decrease the bit depth on parts of the simulation we aren't looking at too hard, to decrease processor overhead?

Could we test for that? ; )

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Been there before, I like it. Without sound of course.

Reply to
jurb6006