OT: repainting a dial on an oven knob

Joerg Try poly or varnish over your markings. I put poly on wooden handles of kitchen ware and they go through the dishwasher fine. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

Hello All,

We have a Thermador double oven that is out of support. After some detective work we were able to find new selector knobs but the thermostat knobs are totally unobtanium. Problem: The temperature numbers are coming off the aluminum ring. Obviously they hadn't etched these but placed some kind of lacquer on it and that didn't last.

Is there some kind of ink that would hold on aluminum well enough as to not smear when cleaning with dish washing soap? Maybe ink plus some lacquer? I have tried the indelible ink Sharpie thing but that comes off.

In case someone else runs into a situation with appliances where the mfg doesn't stock spare parts anymore here is where we found the selector knobs:

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A professional engraver should be able to offer advice. Probably a lot easier to get him to do it too.

Reply to
dB

Hello dB,

Thanks, I'll try that again. But a while ago when I had another of those issues at hand they told me they can't do anything that is following a radius when there is a large obstacle (the knob handle) in the middle. And the aluminum ring won't come off.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Rich,

Can't really paint because it is so small and the degree numbers go on that small ring.

Yes, that's another good idea. I just haven't seen any of that around here. Well, then again we live in the country. So branding irons are easy to get ...;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Laser engraving?

The local woodworkers' shop has one they charge per job to use. It's basically a printer hooked to a PC. I imagine an engraver's shop in your area has one.

Reply to
Richard H.

Hello Richard,

That is a great idea. Now I have to find out if there are any modern shops like that around here.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg