OT: Opinions about this situation?

I don't peep, that's my Uncle Tom.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Seems NOBODY knows _anything_ about WTF "lip synch" means. Next time, they should dub in sound from a Daffy Duck cartoon..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check; heard about it - same story -->invasion of private property

Reply to
Robert Baer

An observation: Many drones seem to be equipped with streaming standard- def-ish video back to the operator, and/or HD video recorded locally on the drone (GoPro or similar). The ground antenna may not be in view of the drone cameras, but if it is, it may be useful if the antenna doesn't look "weird" on video. So, maybe put a piece of gray paper (or fiberglass, or whatever is RF-transparent) with a DirecTV or Dish logo over the "barbeque grill".

Advanced mode: build a radome in a color that is hard to observe from the air.

I can't find the source now, but I remember reading a statement by somebody that "It must have been about 1940 or so when newspapers finally stopped breathlessly reporting that a criminal had planned his crime by using the TELEPHONE." The same thing started happening with the INTERNET in the mid-1990s and has only just started to subside.

You need an NNS unit. It attaches to your garden hose with common household tools!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Typical 2.4GHz barbeque grill dish antenna: Something that big is going to be difficult to hide. None of these antenna were made for PT (pan-tilt) mountings and are certainly not weight balanced. 14 degree beamwidth makes aiming difficult. Still, it's the best antenna for the purpose.

I once calculated the maximum gain for a common 0.6 meter DBS satellite dish at about 9.5dBi. Digging... That assumes that the feed was properly matched to the f/D ratio of the dish, which is usually not the case. The barbeque grill dish gain is rated at 24dBi. If the sight of a defensive barbeque grill on your roof is still too offensive, an 18dBi panel antenna (with 18 degree beamwidth) is only about 12x12x1 inches.

Inverted plastic trash can on the roof is good enough. I've also hidden antennas inside a plastic fake chimney, numerous fake trees, Christmas decorations, a fake duck, fake owls, etc. They all work, but have one common problem... they attract birds and bird droppings. A dome topped full turret mount, with optics, 2.4GHz jammer, and water cannon, seems like it might be hidden inside a fake plastic chimney.

A drone based neighborhood war is very likely to escalate rapidly into a full scale war. It may start with light weight snooping, but will eventually escalate to projectile weapons, fire bombing, and area denial weapons. I wouldn't expect it to escalate to nuclear ordnance, which tends to be a bit messy and expensive.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Argh, typo error. That should be 19.5dBi maximum transmit gain at

2.4GHz with a well designed feed. If the feed were too wide, as in the USB dongle example above where most of the transmit RF does not hit the dish, the gain will be much lower. However, in receive, an excessively wide feed will still have decent gain as all the RF that hits the dish, also hits the feed.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It's also really hard to make nuclear weapons "stop at the fence line".

Reply to
Ralph Barone

With an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) weapon, it should be possible to limit the damage to the drones in the immediate vicinity. It could be nuclear powered, but for short ranges, conventional power sources are adequate. However, I suspect it may also create a market for radiation and EMP hardened consumer electronics.

My guess(tm) is that future drone combat will be fought with directed energy weapons, and not projectile launchers. However, I don't think all that will really be necessary. One botched Microsoft push update can destroy civilization in an afternoon.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That's sorta the idea behind neutron bombs, dial-a-yield warheads, and tactical (suitcase) nukes. Maybe hard, but known art.

Reply to
krw