OT Nuclear material used as a power supply

As I said, you don't know enough about what you are talking about. You won' t be worried until you get a radon-induced lung cancer, which isn't all tha t likely to happen, but more likely than if you lived in a safer area.

The advantage of getting worried before you get the lung cancer is that it can induce you to change your life - by perhaps putting an exhaust fan into your basement - in a way that reduces your chance of getting lung-cancer ( not to mention those people with whom you share the house).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Actually, I /do/ know what I am talking about, and I know the risks - such as they are.

To give a comparison - you, living in the big city of Sydney, are far more likely to be murdered than I am here in a tiny town in Norway. Do you worry about being murdered? Do you were a stab-proof vest when you go out in an evening, even though you know it clearly reduces your chances of being killed?

I am more interested in living my life than worrying about microscopic statistics about different ways to die.

Reply to
David Brown

I somewhat doubt this.

Generally speaking, the inhabitants of an advanced industrial country have got roughly equal chances of dying of heart disease, circulatory disease or cancer.

Even in Sydney, the chances of dying by violence - usually by being knocked down and your skull breaking when it hits the ground - are a whole lot low er, and way too low to justify the discomfort of a stab-proof vest (which w ouldn't help much in most cases anyway).

Minimising your chances of getting cancer justifies a whole lot more effort - my effort stops at not smoking, and not eating bacon. Radon isn't a worr y if you live in an eighth-floor flat.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Radon isn't a worry if you live in a house build on granite. The carcinogens from eating barbecues probably outweigh radon "dangers" by orders of magnitude (certainly if you are a typical Australian!).

Reply to
David Brown

Bill Sloman wrote in news:0844f64d-5e56-4d4d-8048-a24f60dc662b googlegroups.com:

Reply to
John Doe

That rather depends on the details of the construction. If you've got a cellar, and the radon from the granite can accumulate in the cellar, you may have something to worry about.

Skin cancers - melanomas - probably kill more Australians than stomach and colon cancers caused by eating barbecued food. Basal cell carcinomas are much more common, but very rarely kill.

Typical Australian's now avoid getting sun-burnt - which my generation certainly didn't - so badly barbecued food may be more of a danger to the current generation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Doe can't tell shit from shinola.